Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus: What's Wrong With The Whole DRM Crowd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus: What's Wrong With The Whole DRM Crowd?

Phoronix: Linus: What's Wrong With The Whole DRM Crowd?

David Airlie sent in a DRM pull request to Linus Torvalds for the Linux 2.6.37 kernel this week to fix some Intel DRM driver bugs as well as one ATI Radeon KMS fix. However, this pull request sparked another rant by Linus Torvalds about the quality of the work of the open-source Linux (DRM) graphics driver developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems justified to me.

Comment

While I agree with Linus most of the time, he should calm down and chill. I don't recall him writing any piece of graphics stack that's in the kernel. His messages are derogatory towards the hard work that has been done with DRM, TTM, radeon, intel, and nouveau. Instead I would like to see him fix the scheduler for once and bring the desktop responsiveness to regular users, and maybe merge BFS scheduler.

Comment

Response from David Airle:

Seems it shouldn't have been sent to Linus in the first place.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be aimed at graphics stack coding, but trying to prevent people from forming bad habits with git trees.

Comment

Thank you Linus!
            Upgrading kernel is like playing roulette, you cannot know how many things it will break.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              While I agree with Linus most of the time, he should calm down and chill. I don't recall him writing any piece of graphics stack that's in the kernel. His messages are derogatory towards the hard work that has been done with DRM, TTM, radeon, intel, and nouveau.
              F*%^ no, this is such excellent comic relief. I generally picture a giant angry tux mascot writing these emails. It's adorable.

Instead I would like to see him fix the scheduler for once and bring the desktop responsiveness to regular users, and maybe merge BFS scheduler.
              Meh. Ideally it would be nice to bring down the overhead associated with cgroups and CFS. Since switching back from BFS my machine doesn't freeze up for minutes at a time under heavy I/O (not swapping). Clearly they're doing something right that BFS does not, even under "normal" workloads.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
                F*%^ no, this is such excellent comic relief. I generally picture a giant angry tux mascot writing these emails. It's adorable.
                No no no, Tux honks the message, and Linus (or maybe an assistant) dutifully transcribes. It sounds like this.

Comment

While I agree with Linus most of the time, he should calm down and chill. I don't recall him writing any piece of graphics stack that's in the kernel. His messages are derogatory towards the hard work that has been done
                  Linus doesn't need to write the code to comment on its quality or how well the developers abide by the kernel merge window schedule. I'm not a kernel junkie, but even from reading this site and rc changelogs, I know that the DRM devs always push the merge window policy and/or commit code within the merge windows that really isn't ready just for the sake of not waiting for the next kernel release.

The DRM devs always want to get their code in the kernel tree and Linux always wants to keep a strict policy of only merging small bug-fixes with low regression potential after the rc1 window closes. For minor violations and newer devs, Linus is usually lenient and might make a comment in the changelog. For major violations and/or repeat offenders, colorful e-mails are created (and warranted).

Comment

While I agree with Linus most of the time, he should calm down and chill.
                    His messages are derogatory towards the hard work that has been done with DRM, TTM, radeon, intel, and nouveau.
                    You don't seem to know Linus. Most notably a few years ago a very good coder named Alan Cox walked out as the maintainer of the kernel's tty subsystem because of the feedback he got from Linus.

That's just who Linus is. As he said himself, he has an ego the size of a small planet. Inescapably, personality like that leads to a lot of bad things such as arrogance and a cold denial when you should admit you've done something wrong.

Instead I would like to see him fix the scheduler for once and bring the desktop responsiveness to regular users, and maybe merge BFS scheduler.
                    As for BFS scheduler, it gives you the speed but with a noticable cost. Kolivas never even intended to push it to mainline.

Comment

Working...
                    X