X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xinerama doesn't work [Radeon 3400 series]

Hello guys,

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and installed CCC. I ran into two problems:

1) Boot menu goes to secondary monitor and switches back to primary after OS selected (don't know if this is off topic, if yes, sorry)
    2) Xinerama mode doesn't recognize second monitor (TV, connected with VGA)

Card: Radeon 3470
    Catalyst Control Center version 2.13
    Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A 300 PSAG4E
    Compiz enabled.

Could some advice me where to start? I'm still a newbie to Linux. After having Ubuntu on my Netbook and maemo on N900 I want to run Ubuntu on my primary computer as well.

I have used Google but haven't found answers helpful enough. Any help would be appreciated.

can you please pastebin the output of dmesg, your /etc/X11/Xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
    Several different multiscreen configurations work fine for me, so I suspect configuration error.

Comment

Thank you for your reply rohcQaH

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanttu View Post
        Thank you for your reply rohcQaH

http://pastebin.com/aayk4UHp
        Just noticed that TV wasn't attached when getting logs (because of the boot menu on another screen). Let me know if that's a problem.

Comment

you're using a multihead configuration instead of the (usually preferred) multiscreen configuration. Is that intentional? Multihead+Xinerama is known to clash with Compiz in some unpleasant ways..

Xorg.0.log says:
          Code:
          [    23.327] (II) fglrx(0): Output LVDS connected
          [    23.327] (II) fglrx(0): Output DFP1 disconnected
          [    23.327] (II) fglrx(0): Output CRT1 disconnected
          [    23.327] (II) fglrx(0): Output TV disconnected
          in other words, the TV isn't recognized. Does your TV have a VGA input or are you using some sort of converter? With VGA you mean these cables, right? Do you know if your TV is meant to send DDC signals (if it's newer than ~5 years, it probably does)?

Comment

Cable is basic VGA. Using extended desktop and Dualmon on Windows have been fine.

Boot menu can be viewed only in TV if it's attached. Last reboot made desktop backgound visual on TV for a while (very small only) and then disappeared. TV doesn't get asignal now.

About Compiz: I haven't touched Compiz multihead / multiscreen settings so that sure is unintentional.

Here new log when TV attached

By the way my laptop monitor resolution is like back in the 90's.

Comment

Connector is basic VGA, TV brand new. Extended desktop mode and Ultramon have been working well with Win XP.
              I haven't touched Compiz multiscreen / multihead settings so it's unintentional. I didn't find that option from settings.

Last time I rebooted, boot menu was on TV, and desktop was visible as a while as a tiny version of the background.
              BTW resolution is like a simulator of those 90's monitors.

This gets me thinking if it was stupid to install OS when VGA was attached even if the secondary monitor was not powered.

Here latest log (TV attached)

Comment

About resolution: When I go system -> preferences -> monitors

"could not get screen resolution randr extension not present"

Comment

Cable is basic VGA. Extended desktop on Windows has been working fine.
                  I haven't changed Compiz settings multiheads / multiscreen. I didn't find them on GUI when i searched.

On latest reboot boot menu was shown on TV and after that background of desktop same time as on my monitor. Backgound was very small (probably the same bad resolution my laptop monitor now) and stayed there only for a while. After that TV didn't get a signal.
                  When I go system -> preferences -> monitors:
                  "could not get screen resolution randr extension not present"

I'm thinking was it stupid to install new OS when VGA was attached (TV was not powered on, though).

Comment

Working...
                  X