Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SystemD Has New Shutdown Logic, Gives Everyone CGroups

Phoronix: SystemD Has New Shutdown Logic, Gives Everyone CGroups

Fedora 14 was set to be the first major distribution shipping SystemD to replace SysVinit, but that ended up getting pushed back to the Fedora 15 release that will now come in May of 2011. Fortunately, for the developers behind Fedora and SystemD, this means the init replacement daemon will be in much better shape for its premiere. Lennart Poettering, the original developer of SystemD, has written about some of the recent improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's spelled "systemd" not "SystemD". It's not capitalized like that anywhere in the official docs, Lennart's blog posts, or even the Wikipedia article.

Comment

I was hoping for upstart for so long, but it never seemed to happen. It seems there was some genuine problems in upstart though, so now i'm not sure which one i like.

Comment

Is there any hope for improving/updating the classic sysvinit? There needs to be an init system that's easy to manage and maintain. I like how Slackware keeps its init scripts simple, and not the complex mess that's in most distros today. If there needs to be a new init system, it needs to be eay to manage and not break compatibility with the older init systems

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          Is there any hope for improving/updating the classic sysvinit? There needs to be an init system that's easy to manage and maintain. I like how Slackware keeps its init scripts simple, and not the complex mess that's in most distros today. If there needs to be a new init system, it needs to be eay to manage and not break compatibility with the older init systems
          It's (as usually) about trade-offs, more backwards compatibility - more problems having a true new and modern system and there's always be people not agreeing on particular time/design decisions.

Little new stuff - people will say it doesn't bring enough to the table to justify a new init system.
          Just enough new stuff - people will say it should have had more new features since it's a new init system.
          A lot of new stuff - people will say it's too complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            seeing how far systemd is right now I have no urge tho have old sysvinit-style services anymore.
            sure there are some missing things in this but those aren't the most important things and this init-system is so incredible you wouldn't want anything else.

Right now im using it on my play system, but I'm also thinking of compiling it for gentoo.

Comment

Many people still think that sysd is just a 'bombs away' startup thing that boots faster. It's much more. Systemd improves stability and robustness. If a dbus crashes it's not a problem. Nothing using dbus needs to be restarted and you won't even know it happened.

Sysd even reduces memory footprint, reduced battery consumption and is also good for embedded.

Comment

I actually think systemd will be the biggest thing for linux in 2011.

Comment

LLVM, Galium3D, responsiveness, systemd, E17 in beta 2... 2011 is going to rock! ^^,

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                    Canonical is looking at it for Ubuntu
                    I thought it would take more time until they realize that upstart is not such a great idea after all, and that there can be something better. Do you have more information about this? Any announcement from them?

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    It's spelled "systemd" not "SystemD". It's not capitalized like that anywhere in the official docs, Lennart's blog posts, or even the Wikipedia article.
                    You are right. From http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
                    Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower case d. And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd. It's that simple. The only situation were we find it OK to use an uppercase letter in the name (but don't like it either) is if you start a sentence with systemd. On high holidays you may also spell it s?st?md. But then again, Syst?me D is not an acceptable spelling and something completely different (though kinda fitting).

Comment

Working...
                    X