Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LGP Has Been Down For A Month And A Half

Phoronix: LGP Has Been Down For A Month And A Half

This summer on Phoronix there was an article entitled Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software? The situation of Linux Game Publishing was looked at where this company over nearly a decade has ported around two dozen games to Linux, but as of late there's been little activity. In fact, for the past month and a half they haven't even been online due to a complete failure of their only server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since the server outage, many LGP customers with these copy-protected games have been able to play their purchased titles
    Is that what you meant to say?

Also:
    made the data recovery process slower and hardware.

Comment

I agree that this was terrible planning on the behalf of LGP and being down for so long is problematic. The DRM system however has always had one upside for me:
      I like to get the games as rentals rather than buying them. I have found while the games they do port are fun they tend to have some seriously big glitches with my system. Stupid things like an unexplainable crashes or stuttering of the graphics. If I am paying brand new prices for games that are considered dated I would at least like them to run well and be certified working with certain hardware :/ thats not unreasonable is it?

Comment

The Linux gaming market is too small to be sustainable, which is why Carmack has finally left it in favour of more profitable platforms. I think LGP is going the way of Loki Software simply because their business model has not and will not be profitable.

Comment

whereas i really don't understand WHY they use only one HDD !!!( The Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB)
          why they don't use RAID 1 ???

Comment

because supporting linux doesnt mean your smart. the fact that they had said operations on 1 HDD is damn near idiotic.

Comment

I guess this is where I get to say "I told you so" to everyone that gave me the "DRM isn't so bad if it brings games to Linux" argument back on this thread.

This situation demonstrates #1 reason that DRM is almost always evil: even if a well meaning company impliments an easy to use and generally permissive DRM system, chances are 100% that they will eventually either drop support for that product, or go out of business. In either event, you are unable to use the product that you purchased. That is unacceptable.

Comment

Did Phoronix try and contact LGP on IRC (#lgp on irc.freenode.net apparently)? If so include that in the article - at the moment it comes across as an attack rather than investigative journalism..

Comment

The whole "we only had one hard drive and our backup system failed at the exact same time and we don't have any usable older backups" thing just doesn't sound quite right to me.

When I first saw this I predicted they would never come back.

I hope I am proven wrong.

Comment

And so it begins.

Comment

Working...
                    X