Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks Of Debian Etch, Lenny & Squeeze

Phoronix: Benchmarks Of Debian Etch, Lenny & Squeeze

With Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" set to be released in the coming months, we have decided to run a set of benchmarks looking at the performance of Debian 6.0 across different sub-systems relative to the performance of Debian 5.0 "Lenny" and Debian 4.0 "Etch" to see how this new release may stack up.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

mega regress:<

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
      Possibly the cost of greater reliability.

Comment

Typo on the first page, ext4 should be ext3.

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
          Possibly the cost of greater reliability.
          I wish someone with money to spare on hard drives would prove that.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
            glibc -> eglibc

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              glibc -> eglibc
              The benchmarks that regressed all had something to do with disk IO. The CPU-oriented tasks increased their performance. So I don't think the eglibc transition has anything to do with it; so I think more careful use of barriers and such to improve data security is responsible for the slow-downs. Or at least I hope so.

Comment

OT this is the first time I've looked at Phoronix's benchmarks in some time. I'm not sure if they've only just been introduced but I'm loving the inclusion of error margins.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
                  OT this is the first time I've looked at Phoronix's benchmarks in some time. I'm not sure if they've only just been introduced but I'm loving the inclusion of error margins.
                  Where have you been then? There have been lots of articles regarding the new improvements that are coming with PTS 3.0 and all that. That error margin thing is one of those improvements.

Comment

I follow Phoronix mostly just to keep in-touch with general *nix and X/Mesa developments. I generally avoided all the benchmarking stuff because, well, without some expression of the confidence of the results, the results were next to meaningless; there was no way to determine the significance of a given value. Hell, for all I knew, the values plotted were the result of a single test - or possible outlier. I understandably fell into the habit of just skipping over any feed headlines including the words, "test", or, "benchmark", like I do for any including the word, "Apple".

Comment

Working...
                    X