No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 10.11 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not see any diff to the one month old 10-10 driver. The supported cards are 100% the same as before, maybe a different control file - even the same patches apply (and are needed). Then i thought the Win improvements are more interesting - the opengl 4 speed fix was only available with hotfix drivers before. Current tests with Unigine Heaven (forced to 16x Anisotropy on Win, 1280x1024, Tesselation normal, ATI 5670, i7-880) reveil that they did NOT add the speed fix that was available as hotfix.

OpenGL Linux 15.3 - 385 (Min 3.8, Max 44.0)
    OpenGL Windows 12.1 - 306 (Min 4.3, Max 41.1)
    DX11 Windows 16.7 - 421 (Min 9.3, Max 42.6)

a retest with the latest hotfix 10-10d driver

shows:

OpenGL Windows 15.8 - 399 (Min 4.6, Max 44.1)
    DX11 Windows 16.7 - 420 (Min 9.4, Max 42.2)

So ATI: what stupid things are going on even in the Win division? Do we really need for every driver several hotfixes? Why do you need to push out a driver each month with only changed name but no improvements? It's absolutely boring to see no progress - especially when you know that there WAS a hotfix for the older driver for the things i test. Could anybody tell me why it was not in the new "final" one?

Comment

Those funny trolls... Bashing the opensource drivers because they are not suitable for games. Really? Are you the kind of mentally challenged person that used Linux for serious gaming? Then we shouldn't take your advice seriously, should we?

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
        stop writing bullshit.

I owned a HD4870 until half a year ago and it worked fine. No problems with 3D games like Heroes of Newerth, Vendetta Online, ET:QW and Regnum Online, in fact most of those games ran even faster than on a similar system with windows vista. I now own a Radeon HD5870 and it's just awesome! Unigine, HoN, UrbanTerror, RegnumOnline, Vendetta Online ...everything runs perfect and I never experienced a crash with one of those cards/drivers and I sure do alot of stuff with them (compiz, gaming, videos...). oh and btw. if you use the open source driver it's your own fault...I mean, come on, you can't even configure them without crashing your xserver
        FULL ACK (with Radeon HD5770)

Comment

It rocks for me

How come my new pc runs flawlessy with an ATI HD 4850 card? I'm experiencing better performance and reliability than with all my NVIDIA laptops. No performance drops in games when using compiz, no vsync issues (with nvidia I had tearing in videos for years, solved only with their latest driver a couple of weeks ago), and 2D performance is faster.

I'm writing this because I don't think it's fair to always blame a company that is actually doing fairly well. I always (I mean, ALWAYS) had issues with NVIDIA cards. Is it just me?

Comment

Using xv with nvidia is usually always vsynced but never with fglrx. So it seems you use gl for video output? For 08/15 games fglrx usually works and has got even one issue less than nvidia with caster. But when you want to use vdpau it is much more interesting with a nvidia card. xvba is working with a hack now up to h264 l4.1 with hd 5 series too - but ONLY using mplayer. That's very restrictive. So for native linux games fglrx is basically fine, but i am even disappointed about the win opengl driver state.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              xvba is working with a hack now up to h264 l4.1 with hd 5 series too - but ONLY using mplayer. That's very restrictive.
              Not only with mplayer, please don't tell nonsense.

So for native linux games fglrx is basically fine, but i am even disappointed about the win opengl driver state.
              On a French news site, they told AMD even recommended to HD 6000 series users to stick on the 10.10e driver on Windows. The hotfixes are going to be integrated into the 10.12 driver. Actually, it's more like the other way around: the hotfixes were backported from a newer branch. There probably will be another hotfix for 10.11 with those too.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Those funny trolls... Bashing the opensource drivers because they are not suitable for games. Really? Are you the kind of mentally challenged person that used Linux for serious gaming? Then we shouldn't take your advice seriously, should we?
                It's a two way street, no one is going to develop games for linux if the drivers don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  oh and btw. if you use the open source driver it's your own fault...I mean, come on, you can't even configure them without crashing your xserver
                  well, EXCUSE me for still using my x1300 card. which happens to be unsupported by fglrx.

Comment

For the first time I'm not interested in updating my drivers anymore. I simply expect it to be as bad as 10.10. My next laptop, which I will buy in a few months will contain nvidia.

That is unless within that time AMD comes out with video acceleration and tear free video.

Comment

I still go nVidia to this day with graphics. if JC tells us it's good then I can't argue with him. AMD still make good cpu's at least. I wouldn't call my nvidia 460 GTX (asus) a powerhouse though. Probably slower than a 4870 in fact. But it's the only stable nVidia card with decent performance and good Linux drivers for me at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X