Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 10.11 Linux Driver Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 10.11 Linux Driver Released

As was pointed out in our forums, the AMD Catalyst 10.11 Linux driver has tipped up today. This driver, with its installer package approaching 120MB in size, is now available for download at AMD's web-site...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow!!! it is a 20% fatter than previous 10.10... I hope it brings something new!

Comment

Originally posted by elmo23x View Post
      Wow!!! it is a 20% fatter than previous 10.10... I hope it brings something new!
      Erm well... Better 6x00 support and Fusion?

Comment

No unminimize delay
        Blur works (except Mipmap)
        Video vsync still doesn't work

I give it about 5 more years and it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
          No unminimize delay
          Blur works (except Mipmap)
          Video vsync still doesn't work

I give it about 5 more years and it will be fine.
          That's what they were saying 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
            That's what they were saying 5 years ago.
            HAHA. So true. I bought a Radeon 4870 after phoronix blabbed about great open source drivers. I sold it 2 months later, because both open/closed drivers suck.
            I'm happy with my nvidia now. Even though the drivers are closed source, they WORK. Imagine that! No screen tearing, crashes, and hardware acceleration.

Also of note, I swear that 90% of the times phoronix posts about a new Radeon drive the headline is 'nothing interesting'
            Seriously ATI, excuse me, I meant AMD, if you want my business stop talking about roadmaps, and future improvements, and just release something that competes with nvidia TODAY

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
              HAHA. So true. I bought a Radeon 4870 after phoronix blabbed about great open source drivers. I sold it 2 months later, because both open/closed drivers suck.
              I'm happy with my nvidia now. Even though the drivers are closed source, they WORK. Imagine that! No screen tearing, crashes, and hardware acceleration.

Also of note, I swear that 90% of the times phoronix posts about a new Radeon drive the headline is 'nothing interesting'
              Seriously ATI, excuse me, I meant AMD, if you want my business stop talking about roadmaps, and future improvements, and just release something that competes with nvidia TODAY
              stop writing bullshit.

I owned a HD4870 until half a year ago and it worked fine. No problems with 3D games like Heroes of Newerth, Vendetta Online, ET:QW and Regnum Online, in fact most of those games ran even faster than on a similar system with windows vista. I now own a Radeon HD5870 and it's just awesome! Unigine, HoN, UrbanTerror, RegnumOnline, Vendetta Online ...everything runs perfect and I never experienced a crash with one of those cards/drivers and I sure do alot of stuff with them (compiz, gaming, videos...). oh and btw. if you use the open source driver it's your own fault...I mean, come on, you can't even configure them without crashing your xserver

Comment

Been thinking about selling my 4870 too. Damn you Phoronix for making me think the opensource drivers were any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  if you use the open source driver it's your own fault...I mean, come on, you can't even configure them without crashing your xserver
                  To quote someone, don't know who, "stop writing bullshit." I've been using the Gallium3D driver for my 4200 IGP for about three months now, and classic mesa for quite a while before that, and experienced less crashes than with the binary blob, in fact the worst I've had recently is a couple of soft lockups that the OSS driver handles without crashing anything ? not to mention, there's nothing needs configuring. Apart from some optimisation issues it's a better quality driver.

Comment

Had a HD4850, which worked great with my open source drivers. I don't play games in Linux though. Just bought a HD6870 a few days ago, which didnt work under X. I kept my HD4850 running while waiting for the ATI 10.11 release, and just now installed both the new release and my new card. Works like a charm ( dual screen setup ). The only annoying thing for now is the "AMD Unsupported hardware" watermark in the lower right corners of my screens But I can live with those for another month or so

With a bit of luck, when Ubuntu 11.04 hits the streets, the open source driver will have support for the HD6xxx cards, and all will be fine

Comment

Working...
                    X