Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops, The Main Server Is Getting Clobbered

Phoronix: Whoops, The Main Server Is Getting Clobbered

If you've had a hard time accessing Phoronix.com this morning, you're not the only one. The main Phoronix web-server is getting clobbered at the moment. This is due to lots of attention to the small Linux kernel patch that is doing wonders to the desktop in terms of enhancing the system responsiveness/interactivity under CPU load. The main Phoronix.com server CPU load should be back to normal shortly, but fortunately this will be less of a problem in the future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You should apply the patches to your web server.

Comment

My box is being clobbered by flash ads.

Comment

Originally posted by joolz View Post
        You should apply the patches to your web server.
        Damn you... I was going to say that. Yeah, it was pretty slow today to the point that several http requests never got answered and so I was left without CSS or the pages never loaded at all. Time to put that core i7-970 to good use.

Comment

My box is being clobbered by flash ads.
          Yeah, seriously, come on Micheal. I know you need to make money, but there are a number of glaring problems with the current setup:

1) Intrusive ads that pop over the page make me *less* likely to buy the products/services being advertised, because they make me annoyed at the ad and therefore the company. By the same principle, they make me less likely to come back to Phoronix.

2) Flash ads? Really? We're *Linux* users, and Flash still runs poorly in every Linux browser except Chromium. I can't count the number of times the Phoronix site has crashed or hung my browser, or simply brought the whole system to a crawl.

Please restore some sanity to the advertising on Phoronix. I might actually pay attention to it then.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
            2) Flash ads? Really? We're *Linux* users, and Flash still runs poorly in every Linux browser except Chromium. I can't count the number of times the Phoronix site has crashed or hung my browser, or simply brought the whole system to a crawl.
            You're not running Flashblock and/or NoScript? ;-)

Comment

You're not running Flashblock and/or NoScript? ;-)
              For Arora?

Also, it's sort of bad form to block ads on an add-supported site, not that I haven't considered it, if the ads continue to be as obnoxious and intrusive as they have been, I'll have to find a way to block them or stop visiting Phoronix altogether.

Comment

Let me get this straight: you've installed a crappy browser plugin which you know to be slow, insecure and prone to crashes, and now you're complaining that your browser is slow, insecure and prone to crashes?

I think Captain Obvious knows a very easy solution to your problem.

Comment

I thought flashblock is different from an ad blocker? Doesn't flash block only prevent the Flash stuff from running?

Comment

For Arora?

Also, it's sort of bad form to block ads on an add-supported site, not that I haven't considered it, if the ads continue to be as obnoxious and intrusive as they have been, I'll have to find a way to block them or stop visiting Phoronix altogether.
                    Ah... I'll have to give Arora a whirl.

In spirit I agree with what you say regarding ad supported sites, but between battery life issues on laptops and security issues I now block Flash and Javascript globally and only allow a few domains.

The Seattle Times website sucked the life out of my battery with a thrice damned Javascript image gallery which prompted me to start blocking script and Flash.

Comment

Working...
                    X