Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

I followed this development from the first version and indeed it seems that everything is very smooth.
    The real good thing is that background tasks (system tasks) dont interfere with the user environment ('cause they are isolated in another group).

This is achieved by the cfs scheduler that isoletes tasks belonging to the same tty.

There is also the solution proposed by systemd or cgroups (made in user-space) but Linus stated that that would be not the solution
    1) user-space is a fragmented mess;
    2) user-space daemons are a total mess;
    3) the whole "user space is more flexible" is just a lie
    ([URL="http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/15/561"].

Other than that, for what concernes IO bandwith isolation, take a look at what Mike is saying: "Next logical auto-step would be to try to subvert cfq" http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/15/155. Perhaps he is joking .

Marco

Why on earth was the test done with -j64... Use the amount of cores in the system. The test doesn't make sense otherwise. No one compiles kernels with -j64. Everyone uses the amount of cores plus something. Never 64.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Why on earth was the test done with -j64... Use the amount of cores in the system. The test doesn't make sense otherwise. No one compiles kernels with -j64. Everyone uses the amount of cores plus something. Never 64.
    It was to simulate heavy load.

nice!

Anyone could share the .deb packages for the 2.6.36 kernel compiled with this patch for x64?

Actually, shouldn't there be a quick and easy way on Ubuntu to apt-get source the kernel, apply the patch and build the deb?

Quote Originally Posted by unimatrix View Post
    Actually, shouldn't there be a quick and easy way on Ubuntu to apt-get source the kernel, apply the patch and build the deb?
    There is. It is known as a terminal window.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    There is. It is known as a terminal window.
    Hahah X D

Not my thing playing the linux elitist, but c'mon, if people want to try something that isn't even released they should be prepared to make a minimum effort instead of crying for PPAs or what not.

Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    Hahah X D

Not my thing playing the linux elitist, but c'mon, if people want to try something that isn't even released they should be prepared to make a minimum effort instead of crying for PPAs or what not.
    Ubuntu has spoiled users like that now.

I've always avoided group scheduling. Running Gentoo, there were numerous reports of bad response in the forums beginning whenever they added group scheduling, and the basic response ever since then has been to configure it out. To be fair, I've been under the impression that group scheduling needed a userspace daemon in order to make it work right, and I've never seen anything for that other than one prototype.

So is this a way to make group scheduling work without the userspace daemon?

Wonder if there'll be a backport patch, and how far back it can go.

Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    Hahah X D

I had the same thoughts when i read those comments...

I am not an elitist, on the contrary i tend to help in every way i can users of a lower grade of knowledge than mine. But seriously, it is like asking to perform a brain surgery without knowing even how to do first aid...

If you want to play with the big boys, be willing to learn a few things first...