Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ati/amd xgp

Hello,

I have a laptop with an ATI XGP port and XGP graphics card/box. I use Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 and I would like to get the XGP box working.

I am aware that this setup basically means that I have another ATI card on the PCI-E bus and need to configure it.

I want to create a wiki or how to, to get get this card to work, but I am unsure how to start.

Is there anyone who would be willing to assist me to setup my ATI XGP configuration on Kubuntu? I am a bit of a noob when it comes to configuring this sort of stuff.

AFAIK you should not need any special configuration to use the XGP box - the driver should just recognize it. That said, I haven't actually tried it or anything.

What happens when you boot with the box plugged in now ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      AFAIK you should not need any special configuration to use the XGP box - the driver should just recognize it. That said, I haven't actually tried it or anything.

What happens when you boot with the box plugged in now ?
      Well I got the dual desktop working with Xinerama, but of course Xinerama does not do Desktop Effects, which leads me to believe that the advanced features of the more powerful card are useless, ie playing games.

I tried to use several aticonfig --initial setups, but I am unsure how to get the 'Big Desktop' to work properly. When I do the

sudo aticonfig --initial -f --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"

I dont get the big desktop configuration with CCC.

Is there a particular order of configuring the xorg.conf in order to make the Big Desktop to work?

My adapter for the XGP box is the same as my laptop, and one of them went TU. Gonna be a while till I get a replacement, so for now I have to charge the laptop fully then try using the XGP Box.

Second question would be then, do I need to clear out the xorg.conf file, or clean any other settings before I start configuring?

Comment

Big Desktop Option

So I managed to get the displays to work without Xinerama, but I still can not get the Big Desktop option to display.

I tried using the

sudo aticonfig --initial -f --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"

But I still see no Big Desktop in the multi display tab. Is there something that I am missing?

Comment

Working...
        X