Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setup 2 x HD5780

hi all,
    for a work i need to run an application that span across 9 monitor at 1024x768 each one.
    I have a computer with 2 ati hd5780 cards, is possible in ubuntu 10.10 to configure Xorg for 9 displays using xinerama with the lastest catalyst drivers?

AMD demo'ed a 24 screen setup last year, so unless it was a gundam you should be able to do this too: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzUyNQ

Alternatively, you could use one graphics card with 3 outputs, 2 DVI-I to VGA, 1 DP to VGA and 3 TripleHead2Go adapters. (This is assuming that the 1024x768 monitors have VGA input)

Comment

in the amd demo there are 4 desktops with 3x2 setup and then the software made the magic with a server client sync between each desktop, i think that 6 out is the limit for one desktop on linux, I'm right?
      however in windows 7 i'm able to setup 1 desktop made of 9 monitor using 9 apple mini-displayport to vga, in ubuntu this kind of adapters don't work well because they give me resolution 640x480 or black screen (no signal), I don't know if its a linux driver problem or an adapter problem ar maybe a xorg config problem...

Comment

It is correct that multi-card setups have limitations. In the 24 screen demo, the flight simulator rendered to 1 master and 3 slave(?) displays.

Mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapters should work. If they don't report the correct resolution, you can use xorg.conf or xrandr --newmode and --addmode to define custom resolutions for them.

Comment

thanks, tomorrow I'll try to use xrandr...

Comment

Will you post pics when done?

Comment

woooo,
              it works like a charm!
              now i'm testing the system using 3 projectors, next week I'll go to work with 8 outputs!!

Comment

Working...
              X