1 minute edit limit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 minute edit limit...

... Any change of finally lifting this highly annoying limitation and replacing it with something more reasonable such as 10-15 minutes?

- Gilboa
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Hear hear, why not increase the edit limit to 25 minutes? many sites have done this and has worked out well for them.

Comment

Again, the current time limit of one minute is in place as it ended up cutting down significantly on spam. Still need to get to a better anti-spam solution though is on my TODO list.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Again, the current time limit of one minute is in place as it ended up cutting down significantly on spam. Still need to get to a better anti-spam solution though is on my TODO list.
        Why not have a Linux-based 'question' as part of the registration process? How many spammers are going to go to the trouble to research the answer?

It should be a question that any Linux user would easily know.

The other techniques such as entering the characters is something a human can easily get around. Having a question that Linux users would know is not so much, perhaps? Just an idea.

Comment

I understand.
          However, even raising it to 2-3 minutes will greatly improve the ability to fix typos, mistakes, etc.
          As I stand, I seldom manage to finish loading the page (containing the thread) before the 1 minute cap is over, let alone re-reading my post and fixing mistakes...

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
            I understand.
            However, even raising it to 2-3 minutes will greatly improve the ability to fix typos, mistakes, etc.
            As I stand, I seldom manage to finish loading the page (containing the thread) before the 1 minute cap is over, let alone re-reading my post and fixing mistakes...

- Gilboa
            And raising it to two or three minutes lets all the spammers back in...
            Michael Larabel

Comment

And raising it to two or three minutes lets all the spammers back in...
              Actually, there've been several spammers get through your 1 minute edit and a few of the other barriers to posting spammage. While I presume it'd be bad without it, it's not so hot with it in place- and it's causing it's own set of issues.

I don't know if there's much of any effective spam-barrier method for web boards.

Comment

How about rising it to 3 minute edit after person has posted at least 50 comments?

Or adding the possibility to "update/add to" the original post?
                Im actually more for "add to whats already posted" feature.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  How about rising it to 3 minute edit after person has posted at least 50 comments?
                  That's what originally I was going to do, but I haven't found the time yet to do that or investigate any other anti-spam plug-ins...
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Or even completely remove the limit if the user has posted at least 20 comments. If a bot has already successfully spammed 20 times, they obviously don't care about edit limit.

Comment

Working...
                    X