Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono Picking Up F# Support For Linux, Mac OS X, Etc

Phoronix: Mono Picking Up F# Support For Linux, Mac OS X, Etc

Last week Microsoft decided to open-source their F# programming language in the form of its compiler and their language's core libraries. Microsoft's F# was opened up under the Apache 2 license and following that release comes a MonoDevelop plug-in and an announcement from Miguel de Icaza that they will begin distributing F# in Mono...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

F#

What the F#?

sorry, i couldn't resist.

Comment

A,B,C,C++,D,F#? What happened to E?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        A,B,C,C++,D,F#? What happened to E?
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_E

Comment

yea.. F# = Fis C# = Cis... sorry iam musician ^^

Comment

F# rocks big time. Also Apache 2 licensed code from Microsoft, wow!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              F# rocks big time. Also Apache 2 licensed code from Microsoft, wow!
              What's good about it? Seriously, I'm curious. From the little blurb I read somewhere it sounds like some sort of declarative systems language(!). Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                What's good about it? Seriously, I'm curious. From the little blurb I read somewhere it sounds like some sort of declarative systems language(!). Is that correct?
                It's a functional language, like Erlang, Haskell, Standard ML, OCaml, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  It's a functional language, like Erlang, Haskell, Standard ML, OCaml, etc.
                  Actually, it's a multi-paradigm language that supports functional, object-oriented and imperative (ugh) programming. It is very similar to Ocaml but has simpler/more readable syntax.

Technically, it has several qualities that make it really powerful:
                  - static typing with extensive type inference.
                  - built-in support for asynchronous programming.
                  - built-in support for units-of-measure. If you define x(m) as position, t(sec) as time and v(m/sec) as velocity, the compiler will let you assign "x = v*t" but will raise an error if you try to do "x = t". This is all compile-time (no performance penalty).
                  - it can consume any Mono/.Net and Java(IKVM) library.
                  - it has first-class IDE and debugging support (MonoDevelop/Visual Studio).

Historically, functional languages have historically lived in their own, fragmented little worlds. This may be the first that actually stands a chance to become mainstream, which is quite exciting in itself. (I've actually seen job postings for F#, which I've never seen for Haskell, Lisp or *ML).

Finally, this is an open-source project implemented by Microsoft and shipped in Visual Studio. Note that Apache 2.0, section 3, grants an irrevocable patent license - could it be that the behemoth is slowly turning around?

Comment

Working...
                  X