Urban Terror HD: Going Away From Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
    The best way to deal with cheaters is, and always has been to implement a vote/kickban solution.
    4 cheaters or mobsters join the server with less than 4 players.
    They vote kick/ban other players one-per-one. Already happened twice in UrT.

YET, the SG Clan has a ... site and IRC, which is advertised upon join.
    Went straight there, explained the situation, they all got banned.

Again, this is not something which can be automated. Unless with ZAX.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
      The best way to deal with cheaters is, and always has been to implement a vote/kickban solution.
      Which simply does not work when the person "cheating" is using a lagger. The only thing saving the open source games from those types of things is the lack of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Which simply does not work when the person "cheating" is using a lagger. The only thing saving the open source games from those types of things is the lack of interest.
        Does not apply, if you mean "lagger" as in huge lag. Most games, Urt and even OpenArena included, have applicable by admin ping requirements - instant or after some time ingame.

And opensource games have as much interest as non-opensource has. Many people play Urt instead of CS and OpenArena instead of QuakeLive. Many people cheat, although more windows users - more probability for a cheater X average amount of users. QuakeLive was nonplayable for me a year ago because there was huge amount of them and ID did not care. And you cannot do something on your own, unlike what is possible with Urt.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          Does not apply, if you mean "lagger" as in huge lag. Most games, Urt and even OpenArena included, have applicable by admin ping requirements - instant or after some time ingame.
          All based on Q3A which has the same protections (and Punkbuster) but still had lag bots, aim bots, etc.

And opensource games have as much interest as non-opensource has. Many people play Urt instead of CS and OpenArena instead of QuakeLive.
          Yeah, sure, ok. Count the number of players on OpenArena's and Urban Terror servers on any given weekend, then open Quake 3 and count them. More people play Quake 3. Hell, more people play Quake 4 which is practically dead.

Many people cheat, although more windows users - more probability for a cheater X average amount of users. QuakeLive was nonplayable for me a year ago because there was huge amount of them and ID did not care. And you cannot do something on your own, unlike what is possible with Urt.
          I'd wager the people you think are cheating, are just really good at an 11 year old game.

Comment

All based on Q3A which has the same protections (and Punkbuster) but still had lag bots, aim bots, etc.
            Without "etc", aimbot is not lag and there is no such thing as lagbot. I can easily detect aimbot, wh or speedhack. But when a person lags, it lags the whole time or at sporadic periods which equal chances to miss the target instead to hit it in the lag period. Be sure, humans are very efficient at detecting cheats. And when cheats are so covered that there is no difference to play with them or without them - they are useless.

Yeah, sure, ok. Count the number of players on OpenArena's and Urban Terror servers on any given weekend, then open Quake 3 and count them. More people play Quake 3. Hell, more people play Quake 4 which is practically dead.
            I second that, especially urban terror. It is very popular. And people still play openarena, even after quake live is launched. Because with quake live you have no control and they only care about money, not about gameplay. Look how much people play cs 1.6, it is still very popular because of gameplay.

I'd wager the people you think are cheating, are just really good at an 11 year old game.
            It depends on how they behave. If they hear somebody and cross their target near them over great distance they are wallling. If they target at immense speeds, but without thinking and without matching coordination they are aimbotting. And then there are players that know the maps so good, they know exactly the most common camping locations and head straight. They react very fast and think over choosing the correct weapon even before contact as in "knowing they come from there and at THAT distance" - yes I can distiguish them. And they are never aggressive if accused and very often just leave if they see skill missmatch.

Because the point of cheater is to provide huge favorable disbalance - they just cry from joy at annihilating opponents when bot does all for them and they laugh at clueless others seeing them with WH glass walls.

The point of true skilled player on the opposite is CHALLENGE, not win. They hunt for competition and GG is only when there was huge challenge!

There is also situation when skilled player uses cheats. It will be difficult to find out, but in the end it will be found out. And any anti-cheat will FAIL anyway(process name? Injection points? Hackable obfuscation? Oh please). Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p38X-HeD_og

And for your information, I never meet ANY linux people cheating. 99,999999999% of cheaters are windows users.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              Without "etc", aimbot is not lag and there is no such thing as lagbot.
              On the contrary, there are "lag bots" I've seen at least one written for Doom 3 pre-1.3 before iD introduced PunkBuster. It specifically flooded specific clients, allowing the "cheater" to literally run circles around the "lagged" person.

It was quite fun to be on the receiving end of it and impossible to vote the douche off.

Comment

Working...
              X