X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URT was amazing game.
    Especially jump mode and maps.
    Its non-comparable and unique.

If it stops running on Linux natively, it is DONE for me. Off the table.

Anti-cheat is NOT the reason for possible all-close source.
    They know binary-based anticheat does not work, only human-based works.
    Hence there is (was) UAA(urtadmins dot com).
    The new part in 4.2 was going to be "passport" access, which would identify and narrow each player as unique and make his ban most efficient and least touching other players(unlike ip/subnet, nickname or GUID bans).

If Urt goes closed source without pure native linux support, it becomes payed one-of-many trash.

Like Blizzard. Do you hear, Blizzard? Your battlenet and co run soley on linux, yet no single client software for linux. You are crap, Blizzard.

If Frozen Sand were smart, they would help host challenges and make money by this, if ads is not enough. The only thing which they do with payed finance model is HUGE popularity drop.

There is nothing "unique" on their 4.1, openarena looks visually definitely much better.

The unique part is(was) gameplay(jump mode) concept.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      PNG is a major improvement to the other formats supported. Disregarding all the bugfixes and portability improvements too?
      If png is so great, everyone would use it. No one uses it, so meh.

Is anyone playing the game on Alpha or Sparc that isn't capable of porting the game themselves?

+SDL Sound (This includes Pulseaudio support)
      Why do you need network sound to play a game locally?

+OpenAL Sound
      Its still only 2D.

+IPv6
      Does anyone actually need ipv6 yet?

+VoIP
      I'm not big on 13 year olds swearing at me for repeatedly sniping them.

meh.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Is anyone playing the game on Alpha or Sparc that isn't capable of porting the game themselves?
        X86_64. IIRC the original quake 3 didn't have that.
        PowerPC, likewise.

Comment

My memory failed me on the PPC. May the edit limit burn on a stake.

Comment

Slightly OT but it's always bewildered me as to why F/L/OSS gaming has never taken off in the way general desktop and server software has. Is it due to commercial games' support of modding communities adequately distracting would-be contributors, stereotypical control freaks who can't stomach the idea of anyone messing with their artistic vision, or is there something else I'm missing?

I would have thought the gaming industry would have the most to gain, given the exorbitant costs involved in making games.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
              Slightly OT but it's always bewildered me as to why F/L/OSS gaming has never taken off in the way general desktop and server software has. Is it due to commercial games' support of modding communities adequately distracting would-be contributors, stereotypical control freaks who can't stomach the idea of anyone messing with their artistic vision, or is there something else I'm missing?

I would have thought the gaming industry would have the most to gain, given the exorbitant costs involved in making games.
              No one is going to work 80+ hours a week for a $0 check.

Comment

If png is so great, everyone would use it. No one uses it, so meh.
                Define "no one". Png is great for its intended use. It's a lossless format with transparency and 24-bit color support and the files still end up being smaller than uncompressed bitmaps. It's very good since images have higher quality than jpeg. Ok... for games it probably doesn't make much difference because everything moves fast enough that no one is really appretiating the finer details in textures.
                Why do you need network sound to play a game locally?
                Hm.... really? Are you still stuck in the middle ages (ie. 2008)? Pulseaudio is here to stay, so it's natural that more and more applications start supporting it.

Comment

There is some difference between zero cost end-result and zero cost progress.

Comment

But you'd think it would occur to someone in the finance department that it makes sense to build a community around your internal dev tools, engine and foster the creation of a huge library of CC'd sounds, textures, etc. It may not pay off this dev cycle but by the time you start work on your next project, you'd potentially have many more assets to choose from, a lot less engineering to do and fewer licensing costs. If you're a publisher overseeing multiple dev houses, the gains could be even more dramatic. The community is already there for games that support extensive modding; this is merely an opportunity to allow some of that work to flow back upstream, while also allowing multiple dev houses to engage in some minimal collaboration, to their mutual benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      Define "no one". Png is great for its intended use. It's a lossless format with transparency and 24-bit color support and the files still end up being smaller than uncompressed bitmaps. It's very good since images have higher quality than jpeg. Ok... for games it probably doesn't make much difference because everything moves fast enough that no one is really appretiating the finer details in textures.
                      No one as in no one. There is not a single ioq3 mod that has released anything using png.

Hm.... really? Are you still stuck in the middle ages (ie. 2008)? Pulseaudio is here to stay, so it's natural that more and more applications start supporting it.
                      You make a wonderful technical argument here as to why we all need network sound for a locally played game.

Comment

Working...
                      X