NVIDIA Says It Has No Plans To Support Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Their sales, their sales, their sales are on fiiiirrreee! We don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn! Burn, motherfucker... BURN!

That's exactly why I am correct.

Do you really think that Nvidia cares about Linux gamers when that is... oh.. about 0.30% of the potential market? There is no money it. The reason they support Linux has nothing to do with typical desktop usages.

If Linux died tomorrow then Nvidia would be a very happy camper as I am sure dealing with X and Linux is a huge PITA for them.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: NVIDIA Says It Has No Plans To Support Wayland

Last week Mark Shuttleworth shared that Ubuntu will begin shipping the Wayland Display Server with their Unity desktop in a future release (...) NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner has publicly stated, "We have no plans to support Wayland."
      Great timing for Canonical to support Nouveau driver development then, right?

Comment

Everyone panic!!!

When the time comes, support will be available.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
          Possibly that Nvidia is interested in using their hardware in embedded consumer hardware, which is dominated by Linux?

Oh. wait. That's exactly why.
          Oh wait, embedded nvidia, Tegra doesn't use vdpau, care to guess again?

SLi was a needed feature in Tegra too isn't it?

If Nvidia gave a crap about the desktop they would do things like.. I don't know... eliminate the need for xorg.conf
          For most configurations it isn't needed. Hasn't been for a long time. Some distributions are smart enough to use the blob when detected on the system.

, get rid of their stupid twinview stuff.
          Works quite well here.

Or have good power management.
          Still has better PM then any FOSS solution I have found so far. Powermizer works, check, STR works, check, STD works, check.

Comment

When the time comes, support will be available.
            Probably what will happen is people using Nvidia proprietary drivers and wanting to use Wayland will just have to run Wayland on top of X.

IF Wayland gets picked up by something like Meego/Chrome OS and IF Meego/Chrome OS gets popular for handhelds and IF ATOM gets popular for tablets and such then Nvidia will probably end up supporting it.

The majority of the push from developers for reformation of X/Wayland are interested in embedded systems. X Server, the way it is now, is too much of a pig to be competitive in small systems. It has nothing to do with the networking or anything like that. It's just that X, X Server, and everything else is too complicated, to legacy-ridden, and too big.

It's quite possible that X will get more lightweight, faster, and streamlined and eliminate the need for Wayland. But that would still mean breaking compatibility with Nvidia either way.

Comment

Oh ya and adding items like:

Added ColorSpace and ColorRange features for HDMI
              is really sought over by their GPGPU / CAD customers isn't it? Not to mention the tonnes of individual fixes like playing "Miracle of 51st street" playback.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Oh ya and adding items like:

is really sought over by their GPGPU / CAD customers isn't it? Not to mention the tonnes of individual fixes like playing "Miracle of 51st street" playback.

Who the f*k brought up CAD?

It was not me. You think that movie studios and scientific visualizations are using f-ing CAD?

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                  Who the f*k brought up CAD?

It was not me. You think that movie studios and scientific visualizations are using f-ing CAD?
                  There is only one group of people they care about that use Linux and that is in high-end 3D applications, movie studios, and scientific visualizations.
                  High-end 3d applications?

Comment

High-end 3d applications?
                    Like 3d rendering apps that the movie studios use? I'm guessing they're the ones who wanted color space stuff.

Comment

Oh wait, embedded nvidia, Tegra doesn't use vdpau, care to guess again?

Yes. ION is not for embedded systems. Atom is not for embedded system?

Wow.

SLi was a needed feature in Tegra too isn't it?
                      If your not even going to try to think then what is the point in engaging in discussions at all? Stop saying moronic crap like this.

For most configurations it isn't needed. Hasn't been for a long time. Some distributions are smart enough to use the blob when detected on the system.
                      So your not confusing having GUI tools that edit your Xorg configuration automatically with not actually having a xorg.conf, right?

This is what happens on my system:

Code:
                      $ cat /etc/X11/*conf
                      cat: /etc/X11/*conf: No such file or directory
                      How about your nvidia Linux systems?

It's news to me that Nvidia proprietary driver no longer needs Xorg.conf at all anymore. Somebody should let Nvidia know so they can update their documentation.

Works quite well here.

Yes. I am not saying that it does not work, I am saying it's stupid that it still exists.

Still has better PM then any FOSS solution I have found so far. Powermizer works, check, STR works, check, STD works, check.
                      Yes. I am totally impressed that you have Powermizer. Oh, wait. I don't care what random trademark'd BS Nvidia claims your stuff supports.

How about Suspend to RAM? Does that work well for you yet?

Thats the stuff I care about. I know that it works ok for some Nvidia users, but it's still crap for others. Especially for most people that don't have new enough card that is supported by the newest drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X