Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Pre-Release Of Xfce 4.8 Has Arrived

Phoronix: The First Pre-Release Of Xfce 4.8 Has Arrived

While the GNOME developers are busy at work on GNOME 3.0 and the KDE developers are busy working on KDE SC 4.6 and changes that may lead to KDE5, the Xfce desktop environment is still out there and being developed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay.

Comment

Yup, good news.

Comment

Nice stuff, despite being a diehard OpenBox'er, as far as desktop environments go I've always felt that xfce would be my ideal choice. And even though I won't leave OpenBox, Thunar is still my favourite file manager so I look forward to seeing what improvements they've made.

Comment

I should give this a spin when I can find the time (Fedora 14)

Comment

Hopefully Fedora's XFCE maintainer(s) will release a private repo of 4.8 for F14 via Fedora's people repository, to increase the testing coverage.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Obligatory negative post:

do they still depend on gstreamer, and include a registry-wannabe?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Obligatory negative post:

do they still depend on gstreamer, and include a registry-wannabe?
                Obligatory smartass answer:
                If these things bother you, you might be better off with a different lightweight DE.

Comment

As long as it has integrated SMB browsing I'm happy. Fixing the disappearing panel problem would be nice too. (Ubuntu bug 53897)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    do they still depend on gstreamer
                    Only for the mixer and Parole, as far as I'm aware. Why this is a 'negative' is unclear to me, however.

and include a registry-wannabe?
                    Yeah but if you find yourself using it, you're probably doing something wrong. It basically just provides lower-level access to your xfconf settings within an xfconfd session (you can't edit the config files directly) but said settings are only implemented alongside the primary dialogue widgets to control them. Besides that, the only other thing it contains is optional gtkrc overrides. Gconf-editor it is not.

Now if we're talking dumb features, 4.8pre has drag-and-drop up the wazoo. Ugh, FFS.

Comment

Working...
                    X