Ubuntu Is Going To Deploy Wayland With Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look, I'm not an Ubuntu hater. For two reasons:

- packaging is an extremely important part of the Linux ecosystem, and it is not easy to get it right (even if you let Debian do most of the work)
    - It is very difficult to run a company which makes all of its money from Linux. Honestly, I can name three other companies which have managed to stay afloat: RedHat, SUSE and Mandriva, and the latter is not in the rosiest of situations. All other relevant distros are community-based.

But this is it. It's not a shame to be known as a company which does some pretty packaging, especially if the packaging is successful.

And instead of this, you are suggesting that Canonical is being mobbed by RedHat, Novel, GNOME and KDE because they are all jealous of Canonical's superior code.

No, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Look, I'm not an Ubuntu hater. For two reasons:

- packaging is an extremely important part of the Linux ecosystem, and it is not easy to get it right (even if you let Debian do most of the work)
      - It is very difficult to run a company which makes all of its money from Linux. Honestly, I can name three other companies which have managed to stay afloat: RedHat, SUSE and Mandriva, and the latter is not in the rosiest of situations. All other relevant distros are community-based.

But this is it. It's not a shame to be known as a company which does some pretty packaging, especially if the packaging is successful.

And instead of this, you are suggesting that Canonical is being mobbed by RedHat, Novel, GNOME and KDE because they are all jealous of Canonical's superior code.

No, seriously.
      When I posted
      Originally posted by mugginz View Post
      I see that tall poppy syndrome is still strong around these parts.
      You responded with;
      I don't know what exactly referring to, but if you're referring to the anti-Ubuntu posts, then things are getting too ridiculous.

RedHat, Intel, AMD, SUSE and many others have developed the technology behind Wayland, and now the Ubuntu folks have said that they might use Wayland in two years.

I don't know, but the suggestion that Ubuntu is the tall poppy here is one of the funniest things ever written phoronix.

They SAID that they might use it in the future. Whoah. Dude. How can we thank them?
      I think that speaks for itself really.

To focus on this:
      I'm suggesting there are posters who frequent this and other on-line forums who are taking aim at Cononical in various unfair ways. Also individuals from within the other distros aren't immune from taking pot shots as well.

Comment

You seem to detect excessive criticism of Ubuntu, and I often see excessive praise.

Here we have an article in which Shuttleworth says that they will deploy Wayland once RedHat finishes writing it, and all of a sudden this is some sort of a revolution and they are pushing the limits of what Linux can do

Comment

You seem to detect excessive criticism of Ubuntu, and I often see excessive praise.
          I see both!

Any excessive praise I can easily overlook.

Unwarranted slamage gets a bit boring after a while. I think Ubuntu adds positively to the Linux ecosystem. Some like to focus on the negative far too much in my view. Others go further and seem to suggest that Canonical should be folded, at least that's what I take away from members of alternative distros suggesting that programmers hired by Canonical should resign and find work elsewhere. (not referring to this thread directly in this last sentence.)

Here we have an article in which Shuttleworth says that they will deploy Wayland once RedHat finishes writing it, and all of a sudden this is some sort of a revolution and they are pushing the limits of what Linux can do
          That would be a commentary on the story as posted on Phoronix's main page.

What I refer to is the comments in this thread posted by individuals I presume not affiliated with either Michael or Phoronix proper.

Comment

Hello, my first post here. I just wanted to say that I fully support Wayland if it can fix problems like slow (re)drawing of qt and kde apps, problems with windows resizing (when compositing is turned on), ect.

Comment

EDIT: It looks like John Carmack is also a Wayland supporter.

Wow, timeout for post editing is really short here.

Comment

I totally agree. Ubuntu fanboys are worse than Apple fanboys. At least Steve Jobs still has to insinuate that they have invented something. Mark Shuttleworth only mentions that he's planning to use technology developed by others, and has no plans in contributing, and suddenly he's the great visionary who's revolutionizing the Linux desktop.

Comment

stop bitching

Comment

Originally posted by Baxter Stockman View Post
                    EDIT: It looks like John Carmack is also a Wayland supporter.

Wow, timeout for post editing is really short here.
                    There's a bit of a hint in that, folks.

Right now I'm looking into ways to not lose some of the advantages X11 currently brings to the table while not losing what Wayland appears to offer in potential to us.

What we don't want is to throw the baby out with the bath water- on EITHER side of the equation. If you can accomplish both reasonably well (X11 doesn't in many ways right now... But you CAN do amazing things like NX that works better than Citrix does- I don't want to lose THAT sort of ability.)

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz
                      I think that speaks for itself really.
                      The only thing it demonstrates is that you've both got different definitions of tall poppy syndrome - with pinkfunkybeat's being slightly more correct, ie. poppies of merit, rather than mere popularity.

Originally posted by pinkfunkybeat
                      That is beautifully succinct.

Originally posted by mugginz
                      Any excessive praise I can easily overlook.

Unwarranted slamage gets a bit boring after a while.
                      "I think that speaks for itself really."

Comment

Working...
                      X