Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can The Unigine Engine Get Any Better? Yes, And It Has.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    arma2 uses 64gb of ram without x64 because of PAE sure you need windows7 or a server edition windows to use this feature for 64gb ram.
    PAE has been supported in Win 2k, XP Pro and Vista as well so it is not limited to Win 7 or a server edition

To be correct, PAE is always used when there is NX active. But a software limit for the desktop systems does not allow the practical use of it. A 32 bit app can usually not get more than 4 GB ram with PAE active. A 64 bit app can use full memory. If your system has more than 3 GB RAM there is a hack that enables full PAE support on Win desktop systems too like v or 7.

http://www.pallab.net/2009/12/30/ena...ndows-vista-7/

Can you people SHUT UP about arma and take it to another thread?
    This particular thread is about Unigine, and developer tools is a very relevant topic.

If the quesiton is when will someone make a full game in Unigine, I wonder if the quickest path might be to take an existing OSS game like Tremulous, Nexuix, World of Padman, etc. and port it to Unigine rather than create all new models, maps, etc. for a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    If the quesiton is when will someone make a full game in Unigine, I wonder if the quickest path might be to take an existing OSS game like Tremulous, Nexuix, World of Padman, etc. and port it to Unigine rather than create all new models, maps, etc. for a new game.
    Unigine should have their OilRush game out well before any such port could be done.

Well a simple first or third person shooter would be nice too, i do not like strategy games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Well a simple first or third person shooter would be nice too, i do not like strategy games.
    Actually, I'm not a fan of shooters myself. I prefer RPGs and strategy titles, but the FPS genre is the most popular genre out there. There really should be a FPS title to show off the engine.

And quite frankly, if you're trying to make the best FOSS shooter out there, why wouldn't you consider porting your game to this engine?

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    PAE has been supported in Win 2k, XP Pro and Vista as well so it is not limited to Win 7 or a server edition
    on arma2 there is no profit in PAE on windowsxp/2k/vista because this kind of os limit the PAE usage to 4GB ram

you can not use arma2 fully with 64gb of ram on 2k/xp/vista only windows7/server edition of windows allow you to use the full feature set of arma2

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    And quite frankly, if you're trying to make the best FOSS shooter out there, why wouldn't you consider porting your game to this engine?
    Probably because Unigine is not FOSS. It's a propriatary closed source engine.

Proprietary third party titles is something the Linux gaming scene needs desperately.
    Look at Symbian; It runs on far more devices than Android or iPhone, yet the lack of any third party applications make it a much less desirable platform than the competition (or at least that is one aspect of why it's slowly failing).