No announcement yet.

[Ask] Nvidia features on linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe think about it, when your cpu is clocked 1 ghz or below then 10% is different than when it runs at 3 ghz.

Comment

nope, not a diff. Either i set it dynamically, or if i just boost the core to the highest clock. Still, at some scene, the load can read 30-50%.

Comment

I have just heard about the Powermizer, luckily perhaps. I am amazed by the possibilities. It enables GPU to run with lowest clocks without using the graphic cords, a fully functional desktop with 3 D effects can be activated with compiz. The battery will also last longer by using it. It can be installed by editing the Xorg configuration file. If you want GPU intense game, it will not work well. Btw, Powermizer 7.0 Mobile technology has a number of mobile power management as well. Should try it.

Comment

Recent mobile Nvidia gpu (Nvidia laptops) doesn't work anymore as the Optimus features aren't supported. So, who cares about the powermizers or whatever they are since the laptop won't work properly anyway.

So, previous post is a fail (is that how you say it? ;-) I am not up on the net lingo.

Comment

Im not using nvidia because of zero opensource, but I do look around. And the optimus issue from what I read is really heavy. Not that nvidia care at all outside of the corporate policy - especially from my (this) post.

I think part of the problem lays within either X not supporting active switch between two cards; or (or additinally) very possibly this optimus thing is very proprietary/patented - similar to CSS/HDCP useless crap. I don't like it, it does not prevent piracy, it rises issues from legal owners, it lowers buyers rights, leads to "intellectual property" failure heavily manipulating science and technology in the future.

Both intel, amd and nvidia support it, do it regardless - I ignore it (don't buy) as whole. The world rotates further.

In modern world words "exclusive", "limited", "patented" or "only for", not only related to software, hardware or IT technology; but as whole - sound(or made to sound) like an advantage. To me, they sound like heavy limitation, negative quality, negative factor.

As if I would be talking loud on the streets "Hey, I have my myopia" and everyone around would cry happily "Wow! Thats very exclusive!! Im jealous! I want to have it too! I will pay big money for it!"

Linux may be very very limited and sometimes bad in several parts, many (hardware, software etc) companies publish binary blobs, or provide only minimal opensource effort, or completely ignore it - and contribute. And I can easily buy windows and install it and have it instantly here and things etc - no problem. But it would taste as peace of sh** in big nice cup of "shut the f*ck up". I just cannot drink THAT.

Ah whatever, Im too much offtopic. Sorry for too much nothing in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              Im not using nvidia because of zero opensource, but I do look around. And the optimus issue from what I read is really heavy. Not that nvidia care at all outside of the corporate policy - especially from my (this) post.

I think part of the problem lays within either X not supporting active switch between two cards; or (or additinally) very possibly this optimus thing is very proprietary/patented - similar to CSS/HDCP useless crap. I don't like it, it does not prevent piracy, it rises issues from legal owners, it lowers buyers rights, leads to "intellectual property" failure heavily manipulating science and technology in the future.

Both intel, amd and nvidia support it, do it regardless - I ignore it (don't buy) as whole. The world rotates further.

Linux may be very very limited and sometimes bad in several parts, many (hardware, software etc) companies publish binary blobs, or provide only minimal opensource effort, or completely ignore it - and contribute. And I can easily buy windows and install it and have it instantly here and things etc - no problem. But it would taste as peace of sh** in big nice cup of "shut the f*ck up". I just cannot drink THAT.
              Okay.... what do you do if they all move that way? If the trend is hybrid switcable graphics in which I think Intel jumps on board since they are the 'other' chip in this equation, what do you do then? Is X and the rest of the related Linux community able to deal with that? Is ATI/AMD going to particpate and help?

I would seriously consider this possible trend. If the Nvidia hybrid tech. takes off, ATI would mostly follow suit with their own if they haven't already. I know of one current/recent laptop which has an ATI/Intel HD hybrid chip but I don't know anything about it such as how it compares to Optimus and whether there is an inherent problem when it comes to Linux.

I am sympathetic to your open source demand but I tend to be practical of wanting it to 'just work.' FOSS is ideal but because of IP, patents, restrictions what have you, you know you won't have all features that the hardware can do. Unfortunately, with the market share of Windows being what it is, these manaufacturers test/design with Windows in mind. Not sure how to combat that or attract more attention to Linux but even the open source option has its limits. If market share is 1%, 5%. 10%, etc., you still have a small market and preaching FOSS is preaching to the quoir. Even if you convert a bunch of people, these companies are still going where the money is. For the big break through, I think you need some commercial push and then you have this ironic cunundrum that you probably don't even want.

Not sure what to do but I think when the company has no support solution whatsoever or it's barely usable or the main point of it is not usable in Linux, I cannot find any reason to support or recommend it (e.g. Nvidia Optimus). It's when the potential is there but not realized, and the reasoning is suspect, I have to object (ATI, ;-) ). Nvidia has the Nouveau option and although it apparently leaves a lot to be desired, it exists but Optimus seems to require a totally different function whereas in Windows, you can switch on the fly.

How does one deal with that? Market share it being what it is in Linux, you can choose to boycott or you can avoid it because the open source alternative is so poor. But, if AMD/ATI can't pick up the ball and run with it and has its own issues, coverting a few people to one side or the other does little. Another approach is needed and I, for one, have no idea what that is or needs to be.

But, I think Nvidia Optimus doesn't have a 'this method works' option so there is no reason to excuse or compromise with it. Not unless, you fold and go with Windows.

Comment

You don't need that much fear about Optimus when you convince your local pc store that you could test the system you might buy with a Linux live system - i would use my own one case i optimized my nvidia script just for this purpose. You should test if it is possible to install nvidia drivers in live mode, if thats possible all is fine. Also check if wlan works out of the box, maybe don't get realtek n chips as they only like some driver versions. Broadcom usually works with later installed firmware or wl binary driver, but will not work on most live systems by default - at least i don't know one which ships the needed firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  You don't need that much fear about Optimus when you convince your local pc store that you could test the system you might buy with a Linux live system - i would use my own one case i optimized my nvidia script just for this purpose. You should test if it is possible to install nvidia drivers in live mode, if thats possible all is fine. Also check if wlan works out of the box, maybe don't get realtek n chips as they only like some driver versions. Broadcom usually works with later installed firmware or wl binary driver, but will not work on most live systems by default - at least i don't know one which ships the needed firmware.
                  I dunno... I believe, in most stores I'd go to, the vendors/sales people don't want me sticking Linux Live CDs/DVDs into their display machines. Their excuse is that they're wary of people with virus-installers or something.

I know, for a fact, that big box stores have that policy at least at the store I asked at. Unforunately, these stores have the most laptops for choice and inspecting features/hardware etc. etc. I typically use the Windows 7 settings, Device Manager, System Properties to confirm what hardware is in the laptops.

Comment

Ah, I thought I might add (since, I can't edit)... many of these laptops have the Intel HD graphics and Intel wireless so should work out of the box but not particularly impressive but at least it probably works. I'm not certain whether it's 'out of the box' but maybe some distros such as Debian and Fedora require non-free firmware repos enabled and the firmware installed?

I suspect the Intel GPU/wireless combo would work out of the box on something like Ubuntu.

When it comes to ATI gpu or Ati/Intel hybrids, I have no idea. Also, I have the impression that Atheros is another wifi card that works well although I haven't come across too many laptops with this card. I think the corresponding gpu might be Nvidia so I tended to go to the next machine to check.

Comment

When you tell em you don't buy until you checked then you may have got more success

Comment

Working...
                      X