Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Improved Experience With Qt Scene Graph

Phoronix: An Improved Experience With Qt Scene Graph

Just days after blogging about Gallium3D and the TGSI IR that could be replaced with LLVM IR in LunarGLASS, Zack Rusin has written a new entry regarding 2D acceleration and the lack of really any innovation or major changes to this area of graphics processing in recent years. However, that is beginning to change at least in the Nokia world when it comes to QML and Qt Scene Graph...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love this new Phoronix interest in Qt and KDE. Thanks Michael!

Comment

As a KDE user, I have to agree with V!NCENT. I appreciate hearing about these KDE/Qt-related events I might not otherwise know about!

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
        As a KDE user, I have to agree with V!NCENT. I appreciate hearing about these KDE/Qt-related events I might not otherwise know about!
        In the KDE case it would imo be better if you did not know about the discussion.

Why you might ask?

Simply because it is just an idea. And in general you don't publish ideas if you have no clue how, when or especially if to implement them. Further you would not do that if the impacts of that idea or the targets you want to achieve aren't clear. That would just create confusion and could even have bad effects for your project.

You would wait and discuss and then if you have _something_ talk about it in the open.

And "open" here means something like dot.kde.org or a blog entry. Yeah in fact the mailing lists are open for everyone to read and join to post. That does not mean that everything discussed there is supposed to be published on the net.

I guess the same holds true for nearly any other project, be it FOSS or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
          In the KDE case it would imo be better if you did not know about the discussion.
          As opposed to what other product that we should know the discussions about? Over at GNOME nothing goes through. It's like those people are stuck in the dark ages with regards to desktop environment improvements. It's all under the hood, not noticeable changes with them. With my limited experience with KDE, they're always at the edge of things. It's like the Arch linux of desktop environments.

Comment

I like reports on interesting mailing list discussions, with KDE and other projects alike.

I don't follow development lists closely, but I often look over at kerneltrap to see if there is something interesting worth having a read. I also enjoyed the tidbits phoronix reported on, which were based on IRC discussions. It was a good way to find out things which I would otherwise not know.

I don't think that much will come from the idea to merge stuff into Qt, but it's interesting that people are considering options and having healthy discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
              As opposed to what other product that we should know the discussions about? Over at GNOME nothing goes through. It's like those people are stuck in the dark ages with regards to desktop environment improvements. It's all under the hood, not noticeable changes with them. With my limited experience with KDE, they're always at the edge of things. It's like the Arch linux of desktop environments.
              I was refering to the the "KDE libs moving to Qt" report and the person I quoted mentioned that he was satisifed with all the KDE and Qt phoronix news lately. So the "other product" was Qt.

Comment

iam not kde user or Qt fan, but its good news, good to know linux stuff is still improving

Comment

I could subscribe to mailing lists, but Phoronix eliminates that for me. Phoronix also provides me with a one stop discussion forum. The advantage of that is also that I can bash things if I desire to do so. There is no point in bashing KDE on the KDE mailing list or bashing Gnome on the Gnome mailing list. The bonus is getting a clash between KDE and Gnome for example. That is only possible on the outside and valuable; no matter what way you look at it.

Comment

Working...
                  X