Pink & green output on HDMI with KMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink & green output on HDMI with KMS

Hi, I have a RV635 based card with DVI output connected to a monitor with HDMI input. Both the monitor and DVI to HDMI cable are functional as UMS works as expected. However, when I enable KMS white becomes pink and black becomes green.
    Does anyone have at least a pointer from where to start investigating this?

Note: my exact card model is "Asus EAH3650 SILENT MAGIC/HTDP/512M", pci id 1002:9598, subsystem 1043:01da.
    I noticed that the radeon KMS driver includes a workaround for this pci id, but for another model, but disabling it made no difference.

Does booting with radeon.audio=0 on the kernel command line help?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Actualy I already tried and that's how I ended up reporting https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17782. I also tried forcing enable to flase in r600_audio_engine_enable() but that didn't help.

Btw, my monitor does have HDMI audio and I tested it and it works fine despite the strange looking image.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Actualy I already tried that, that's how I ended up reporting https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17782. I also tried forcing enable to false in r600_audio_engine_enable() but that didn't help.

Btw, my monitor does have HDMI audio and the audio works fine despite the strange looking screen.

Comment

I've seen this before!!!!

Unfortunately, I can't offer a fix for it, since the problem persists on mine as well.

One of my machines, a soon-to-be-retired HTPC has the same chip -- the 3650. Mine's a SAPPHIRE card, I think this one: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=160

KMS does work and I do get normal colors, as long as the TV doesn't switch inputs while the computer is running... so if I have the HTPC running and the TV selected to it, then I switch to satellite input, and then back, then the colors go nuts exactly as you describe... only way to bring it back is to reboot.

Note: same config with the DVI to HDMI plug, I really doubt that it is related though.

It is possible that the common problem is the TV though... Mine's a 46" toshiba LCD.

Comment

Unfortunately for me the screen looks this way as soon as KMS initializes... My monitor/TV is a Benq ML2442.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
              Unfortunately for me the screen looks this way as soon as KMS initializes... My monitor/TV is a Benq ML2442.
              That is a very different monitor, I doubt that there are too many similarities. I suppose that it is possible that your monitor is switching inputs or otherwise doing whatever it is that happens when mine switches inputs at the time when kms is doing its magic. I've seen some monitors go rotating between inputs when they detect that there is no signal on the currently enabled input.

Strange thing you mentioned in your bugzilla report -- that you have both VGA as well as HDMI connected from the video card to the monitor. Why are you connecting both? Are there any additional inputs on the device that could potentially have an input, like a tv-tuner?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Strange thing you mentioned in your bugzilla report -- that you have both VGA as well as HDMI connected from the video card to the monitor. Why are you connecting both?
                I have the VGA input also connected because that's the only way I can use the monitor. I did try without the VGA input as well but still the same problem.

Are there any additional inputs on the device that could potentially have an input, like a tv-tuner?
                Yes, there is a receiver from my cable company connected via the SCART input that I never disconnected during my tests, I will try when I get home tonight to see if disconnecting it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                  Yes, there is a receiver from my cable company connected via the SCART input that I never disconnected during my tests, I will try when I get home tonight to see if disconnecting it makes a difference.
                  No difference . I disconnected both the VGA and SCART inputs and still I get the wrong colors once KMS initializes...

Comment

Found an workaround!!! If I go in the monitor's settings there is a "reset" option. After using this option I get a clear image until the next input switch. Thanks for the hint that changing the monitor's input is causing this. Now to figure out how the input switch is causing this. Did you investigate any further in your case? Like if the EDID sent by the monitor changes after a input switch?

Comment

Working...
                    X