fglrx: why UVD 2 but not UVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fglrx: why UVD 2 but not UVD?

I'm just curious as to why fglrx could support UVD2 but not UVD. Is this just the legal problem, or it is a way to force us to buy a new graphic card?

Recently, I upgraded my HTPC with a very cheap low power AMD 760G motherboard (newer 785G motherboard doesn't support my Athlon 64 x2 AM2 CPU). XBMC runs perfectly on it, but I wish fglrx could support the UVD+ feature of this motherboard.

Maybe I should've bought a silent NVIDIA graphic card instead of a new motherboard for the upgrade.

I don't get why you bought a new board, that does not speed up things usally and amd's xvba is useless in most cases for dl content anyway as it does not accellerate h264 l5.1. So you can not activate it as general purpose video accelleration anyway. Give it back and get a new nv card, if you want to use hdmi maybe g210 or so.

Comment

Not the nvidia ad-bot again!
      Really REALLY tired of that!

785G should support original AM2 CPUs just fine...
      Avoid nv card at all cost -- for their lack of support for anything open sourced, they don't deserve any of your money. Their drivers also really suck -- its a matter of random chance whether their video decode acceleration will work at all.

Comment

Of course the accelleration works, even with my ion (1) netbook i can decode full hd with xbmc or mplayer (vlc is somehow too ineffient there). It is definitely impossible to decode full hd with single core (only ht) atom. Sadly flash does not use vdpau.

Did YOU ever try video accelleration? I tested nvidia with 8800 gts 512, gt 220, ion. ati with 3450 (at max vc1 worked, h264 will lock the pc sooner or later), 4550 (h264 l4.1 works), 5670 (partly works with mplayer, other players get bad rendering even with 0.7.6 pre xvba-video) and i also tested i5-680 with vaapi (but not lately as i only have got 1 board but 2 s1156 cpus). So tell me about YOUR video accelleration experiences - not only how fast your cpu is! And don't test only that low bitrate dl content but "real" m2ts.

Comment

For me, as an ATI/AMD user for more than 12 years (my first card was an ATI RAGE Pro), I'm becoming very disappointed with the way ATI cares about the customers on Linux/Windows platforms. :@

Until very recently, I had properly support for my laptop HD2600 card at decoding H264 videos by hardware. Another laptop I have (with a HD3650 card) was also working well with Linux until Catalyst 10.8. Now I can't decode videos with ATI hardware anymore. :S

At the moment, I'm starting to think if my next laptop or desktop build will have a nVidia card or not. 3D perfomance isn't everything...

Yes, although you don't have open-source drivers with nVidia, maybe I'm going to recommend you to buy a cheap nVidia card and use their proprietary driver, (mainly if you're thinking to use you computer as a Linux HTPC system). It's much more stable and faster than the using Open-Source ATI.

These were my 2cents.

Cheers

p.s. Sorry for my english

Comment

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I probably a bit frustrated with this UVD setting I had hope I got with fglrx. Should've researched it more.

I upgraded my motherboard because my HTPC has ATI Xpress1250 integrated graphics. XBMC doesn't run well on it because of a lack of hardware GLSL support. I saw this 760G motherboard for $15 so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Several 785G motherboards I looked at doesn't support my old CPU and too high in price. I may missed something.

BTW, it's perfect so far with the new 760G board, but XBMC runs near 100% decoding 1080p video. I still wish fglrx had UVD support.

Comment

I told you even if it would it would be useless for most h264 - dl content is usually h264 l5.1 which is NOT accellerated.

Comment

Originally posted by ntt2010 View Post
                I'm just curious as to why fglrx could support UVD2 but not UVD. Is this just the legal problem, or it is a way to force us to buy a new graphic card?

Recently, I upgraded my HTPC with a very cheap low power AMD 760G motherboard (newer 785G motherboard doesn't support my Athlon 64 x2 AM2 CPU). XBMC runs perfectly on it, but I wish fglrx could support the UVD+ feature of this motherboard.

Maybe I should've bought a silent NVIDIA graphic card instead of a new motherboard for the upgrade.
                I don't think this is a UVD vs UVD2 issue -- my understanding was that the main difference between 760G and 780 was that the 760G did not have UVD while the 780 did.
                Test signature

Comment

Working...
                X