Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excito B3 Mini ARM Powered Server

Phoronix: Excito B3 Mini ARM Powered Server
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Excito B3 Mini ARM Powered Serverhttp://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15405
    Is the boot loader unlocked? granted if it's running vanilla debian there isn't much need to reinstall. Also is the clib, uclibc or glibc?

Comment

no "phoronix approved" mark???

Comment

Wifi chipset?

Can you provide more info about the Wifi controller? Model, brand, and manufacturer, please.

I'm also curious if this can be configured as an access point (wifi router) or station (for bridging local LAN with another LAN wirelessly). My first assumption is that the wifi is used to connect the server to a wifi router.

Comment

Hi,

Let me start of by saying that I work for Excito.

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
          Is the boot loader unlocked? granted if it's running vanilla debian there isn't much need to reinstall. Also is the clib, uclibc or glibc?
          The bootloader, u-boot, is indeed unlocked. The problem is most likely more the problem reaching it. (It's available on the serial console.)

B3 uses a regular glibc as shipped by the Debian folks.

/Tor

Comment

Originally posted by box of rox View Post
            Can you provide more info about the Wifi controller? Model, brand, and manufacturer, please.
            B3 as shipped today uses an Atheros chip, AR9280.

I'm also curious if this can be configured as an access point (wifi router) or station (for bridging local LAN with another LAN wirelessly). My first assumption is that the wifi is used to connect the server to a wifi router.
            The Wifi on B3 is used in AP mode to support the built in router. (One could of course configure it in station mode from the command line. But the UI only supports AP mode.)

/Tor

Comment

This looks really nice. I'm using an old computer that consumes at least 10x more power for most of the tasks that this little server can handle. The only thing that is missing is the possibility of installing 2 hard drives. If it allowed this and there was an option for buying it without any drives at all it would be the perfect server. I already have 2x500gb HDDs on my current server, and these would go to waste.

Comment

I purchased this summer a Sheeva plug, which is quite similar in the specs and connectivity (just one less ethernet and no wifi). But it definitely fulfills my needs, even though it's more of a development kit than a final product. So I use Webmin to administrate it.

What is missing on the Sheevaplug is a power button, I like to shut everything down when I go to sleep and put it on when I wake. With my internet box and shared usb printer it makes around 50W, and I see no use keeping it on. So its more convenient to have a power button to shut it down without a computer.

What about NFS ? I configured both NFS and samba on my plug, NFS has the advantage to have damn small overhead, and I reach great throughput like 50-60MBps symmetrical. Samba is more around 40MBps, but I've only spent small time configuring it. Even though NFS is not that interesting in home conf, it can be preferred to some, and it would be interesting to see some benchmarks.

Can the wifi be totally disabled, and save some wattage like on laptops ?

Comment

Looks real nice, but for $400, my dual atom server was just over half the price for, at worst, the same specs. I can appreciate the form factor and DC power pack as a cause for the price premium, however.

I like that you can get root access. Is the OS running off the hard drive or some sort of embedded flash? I'd be worried about borking the install somehow and having no recourse to reloading the OS.

Comment

I wonder how the performance is compared to the cheap Via thin clients available. Around the same cpu freq, but x86, and rated around 15-25W.

Comment

Working...
                    X