Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, well

Originally posted by marek View Post
    Using drm-radeon-testing no longer makes sense for r300g, there's not much r300-related work, if any. The kernel 2.6.36 should perform well for most users. Running Mesa from master is still recommended because there are some critical r300/compiler fixes from Tom Stellard.
    So, that's mean no more HUGE performance boost in future for r300g series? Only +/- and some bug fix?

P.S. Guess this http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature table is outdated.

Comment

he said that there isn't much r300-related work in DRM. There's plenty of work to be done in userspace (mesa).

Comment

Originally posted by 69acid69 View Post
        Guess this http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature table is outdated.
        What's outdated about it? It looks up to date to me.

Comment

It's missing the new Northern Islands family. I'm adding it now

EDIT - done... I ended up combining the 6xx and 7xx columns since the two families pretty much always have the same features.

The choice between TODO and WIP was pretty arbitrary.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            What's outdated about it? It looks up to date to me.
            What about 3D features for r600-eg? Why is it not yet done?
            MSAA still wip, but I don't think anybody is working on it. Why not Mostly, btw?
            Tiling is at least wip for eg, potentially Mostly for r600-eg.
            Plus r900 or southern/northern (whichever turned out to be the real name) island is completely missing.

These came to mind but I might be wrong on any/all of them.

Comment

Bridgman beat me to it, as usual. :P

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
                What about 3D features for r600-eg? Why is it not yet done?
                The main problem here IMO is that we don't really have agreement on exactly where the line is between "MOSTLY" and "DONE". My guess is that the move to "DONE" will happen when 600g becomes default in master.

MSAA still wip, but I don't think anybody is working on it. Why not Mostly, btw?
                Mostly implies generally available and working in master, albeit with bugs. I didn't think MSAA was at that point yet, is it ?

Tiling is at least wip for eg, potentially Mostly for r600-eg.
                IIRC Colour Tiling is DONE but Texture Tiling is still WIP. Not 100% sure though...

Plus r900 or southern/northern (whichever turned out to be the real name) island is completely missing.
                Hey, I can fix that one
                Test signature

Comment

Concerning MSAA, it's been implemented in r300g but no work has been done for it in the Mesa core so it's completely untested. There are two missing parts:
                  - EXT_framebuffer_multisample: MSAA through this extension should be easy to implement.
                  - Multisampled front and back buffers: No idea what needs to be done here.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I ended up combining the 6xx and 7xx columns since the two families pretty much always have the same features.
                    Isn't it the same case for R400/R500?

Comment

• Not to the same extent. The r5xx family was the first to have the Avivo display pipe (significantly different programming from 4xx, no TV-out functionality in the overlay etc..) and it introduced a new fragment shader instruction set.

There are differences between 6xx/7xx but they are smaller by comparison. We also implemented support for the two generations at the same time and mostly in the same code, which makes their level of support more likely to track.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X