AMD's R300 Gallium3D Driver Is Looking Good For 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    Nexuiz should be a lot faster if you enable GLSL.
    Yes, I was wondered why this Nexuiz benchmark did show regression.

I've tested that enabling GLSL in Nexuiz on r300g brought almost twice the performance of r300 in most places, especially seen on maps/places where r300 had performance drops - tested on my RV350. The performance gain in Xonotic is visible, too.

Comment

And I'm wondering why distro developers kill r300 driver in favour r300g.
      It's still usefull to test if r300g haven't brought regressions so there should be packages with classic Mesa drivers in main repositories, too.
      For me it's very usefull to have two drivers and few their versions in separate directories for testing. It's so simple now as disabling desktop effects and setting variable for driver preload starting game or other application.

Comment

There was discussion about including Spring RTS in another thread. The open question is whether the games have a scriptable benchmark mode.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
          And I'm wondering why distro developers kill r300 driver in favour r300g.
          It's still usefull to test if r300g haven't brought regressions so there should be packages with classic Mesa drivers in main repositories, too.
          For me it's very usefull to have two drivers and few their versions in separate directories for testing. It's so simple now as disabling desktop effects and setting variable for driver preload starting game or other application.
          Agreed. A simple export command on the command line makes a difference will a windows game work or not. I still have to use classic driver, wine games simply do not work with gallium.

Comment

What about r700? Why is my GPU always left out T_T

Comment

There is a 600g driver as well, which currently supports r6xx, r7xx and Evergreen. It started later than 300g but is catching up fast.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                There is a 600g driver as well, which currently supports r6xx, r7xx and Evergreen. It started later than 300g but is catching up fast.
                Reading the commit statements from Arlied, it sounds like r600g is supposed to be about on par with the classic driver already, and Evergreen should be pretty much working as well. I'm sure it hasn't been tested nearly as much, though, so there are probably more bugs to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
                  Agreed. A simple export command on the command line makes a difference will a windows game work or not. I still have to use classic driver, wine games simply do not work with gallium.
                  That seems fixed in master but not in 7.9:

or am I missing something?

Comment

The last thing I'd like to see in the r300g driver is support for the force_s3tc_enable in .drirc/env variable. As I wrote at:

games are starting to use this trick to force the S3TC extension (when they only use decompression), and while this works perfectly with r300c it doesn't work with r300g. Forcing thousands of users to install libtxc_dxtn.so is not an easy solution (especially since distributions don't usually provide packages for it), especially if it's technically not really needed.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                      The last thing I'd like to see in the r300g driver is support for the force_s3tc_enable in .drirc/env variable.
                      File a feature request:

Comment

Working...
                      X