Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

random hangs with the radeon driver + x1300 (T60)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random hangs with the radeon driver + x1300 (T60)

hello, i have an annoying (and sometimes critical) problem: im using fedora 12 on my thinkpad T60, whose video card is a radeon x1300. I have a desktop with a radeon x1600 which should be quite the same and i have never had this issue. Anyway:
    im using nomodeset with the boot process because sometimes the boot hangs... with nomdeset (and a video mode explicitly passed to the kernel) the graphic boot always comes out nicely. but randomly in my user session i got stuck, usually when a new window pops up. I can move the mouse pointer but the keyboard does not work any more so i have to power down the laptop, then reboot. I don't see anything interesting in the logs. Im using compiz and I am addicted to it...
    so my problem is: radeon driver with radeon x1300 + compiz + fedora 12 random hangs usually when a window pops up.
    Im using xorg without any options (xorg.conf does not exist in /etc/X11). Am i the only one with this problem?
    thanks to anyone who helps me solve it :-)

Does it use AGP?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Does it use AGP?
      no, it uses the pice interface

I have an X1400 and i am using the xorg-edgers ppa for ubuntu
      with the 2.6.36 Kernel and i don't have any problems
      had the booting problem for a long time, too
      but at the moment everything is runing smooth

grz

Comment

is there any options to put in the xorg.conf for solving the problem?

Comment

No, or at least none that i know

Upgrade to latest kernel
          use kms because nonkms is not supported anymore
          use latest radeon gallium driver

greetings

Comment

I think the problem is the card is detected with 128mb but only has 64mb which causes the hangs...works without compiz but kinda got uset to it

Comment

The vram aperture in the GPU's memory controller has to be greater than or equal to the pci framebuffer aperture regardless of how much vram is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                The vram aperture in the GPU's memory controller has to be greater than or equal to the pci framebuffer aperture regardless of how much vram is installed.
                I have installed gallium3d now with latest kernel+patches and no more freezes for couple days now..
                3d games (openarena etc) now run slower than with the classic...but a lot better than my last attempt (sound issues moving windows etc)
                Is there anything else i've missed..(do I need an xorg.conf)
                not that fussed but would be nice to play the odd game...

thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                X