Alt+TAB and fullscreen games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    I would like to edit my posts, but you know... So new post...

I had xfwm4 compositing on and with that it is impossible to get any window over a fullscreen 3d window. Without that compositing it works for "little" windows but the fullscreen window still flickers and sometimes hangs for a second when alt-tabbing. For "big" windows it still doesn't work.
    Yeah.

I do sortof regret that I didn't manage to get any output from the pecular situation I was in a few days ago, where the bug was mysteriously absent for a couple of hours.

Comment

Minimize games

Guys just use sdlhack to switch all SDL application

and it is not a Linux's fault, just the developers do not want to bother with Linux Desktop's Usability.

remember some old Windows' games that had the same problems, such as Need For Speed 2

Comment

Originally posted by imamdxl View Post
        Guys just use sdlhack to switch all SDL application

and it is not a Linux's fault, just the developers do not want to bother with Linux Desktop's Usability.

remember some old Windows' games that had the same problems, such as Need For Speed 2
        I think I love you! :3

Comment

Interesting I know people who strip keys off their keyboard so they don't accidentaly switch out of their games on windows - just goes to show you can't please everyone.

Fullscreen for games gives you extra performance at the cost of a rather expensive context switch moving in and out of the application. I use the following trick for working with unigine it should work for other apps as well (in KDE at least). Set the geometry of the game window to be your native resolution set customise the window not to have a border - Ungine doesn't remember this setting (grrr). So in this case I have bound WIN+F11 to hide selected window border as a global shortcut. That way I get the window to behave as if it were a fullscreen window but still be running in windowed mode. This comes at a performance penalty but allows switching to code editors, 3d modellers etc.

Comment

Sorry for the age-old bump, but people told me to write in here incase I ever came across a solution, and I have.

Unfortunately, it requires hardware, although a hack may very well be possible. Please don't hesitate, code-gurus!

On my computer at least: Connect a second monitor and whoops, the problem goes away!

Sometimes it will work without doing this, but that appears to be a bug.

Apparently, if your virtual desktop is larger than the visible screenarea, the bug is resolved!

This is with FGLRX 10.8 all the way up to 11.2.

If I disconnect my second monitor, log out and back in again, and try to run the same program that was just working - it'll break.

Comment

Working...
            X