No announcement yet.

Alt+TAB and fullscreen games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try a different window manager. A gnome bug is not a linux bug.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      ++

Additional suggestion: disable compiz or toggle its "unredirect fullscreen windows" option.

Comment

i tried this with metacity, compiz, kwin and kwin with enabled compositing.
        they all have the same behaviour.
        though i tested this like half a year ago.

Comment

Except it's not a GNOME bug! =)

I tried with GNOME, KDE, LXDE, Compiz, and even OpenBox.

They all exhibit the EXACT same behavior.

I also tried the sugestion to unredirect. It made no chance either.

Comment

It is problem of Xorg and OpenGL.
            Application should never be able to override the key combination used to force it background. That simple.

RealNC is wrong. In WOS, applications do override alt-tab making impossible to switch, they do crash or unable to get back after switch, they do freeze the whole system grabing input controls in the process, so your only option is to reboot. And you have no access to tty unlike linux and GFX system is not separated, so youre screwed.

Running WINE as root is incredibly, incredibly stupid.

1) You have a subsystem that shares and emulates micro-flaws.
            2) That runs closed source software.
            3) That will have full access to your data.
            4) And in case of root to system memory, root space, other users data.
            5) That CAN very good run viruses.

You are screwed.
            Sure way to "port" those 1 Million viruses to linux, including stormworm- and rootkit-like.

Never do this. Better boot WOS and wipe it off the separate drive after you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              It is problem of Xorg and OpenGL.
              Application should never be able to override the key combination used to force it background. That simple.

RealNC is wrong. In WOS, applications do override alt-tab making impossible to switch, they do crash or unable to get back after switch, they do freeze the whole system grabing input controls in the process, so your only option is to reboot. And you have no access to tty unlike linux and GFX system is not separated, so youre screwed.

Running WINE as root is incredibly, incredibly stupid.

1) You have a subsystem that shares and emulates micro-flaws.
              2) That runs closed source software.
              3) That will have full access to your data.
              4) And in case of root to system memory, root space, other users data.
              5) That CAN very good run viruses.

You are screwed.
              Sure way to "port" those 1 Million viruses to linux, including stormworm- and rootkit-like.

Never do this. Better boot WOS and wipe it off the separate drive after you are done.
              So what you're saying is...
              When Unity/Wayland is out, this should be fixed? (I am an Ubuntu user)

Sure hope so! =P It's really annoying.

Comment

Since still people didn't get it:

What to do:
                1) Start i.e. warcraft3 in wine with your full desktop resolution (I have set a virtual desktop for handling applications like a normal window).
                2) Press alt+tab
                -> After a short flicker another application will have the keyboard focus, but warcraft3 will still be in the foreground.
                3) Change your workspace with i.e. ctrl+alt+right. warcraft3 will after a short flicker be displayed on this workspace in the front of all windows too.
                4) Try minimizing it with the "show desktop" function of the window manager. After a short flicker your window manager thinks warcraft3 is minimized, but it is still displayed fullscreen on all workspaces.

With catalyst 10.10 no window can be put in front of a big window with 3d-content.
                In earlier versions of catalyst it sometimes worked, as long as the window you wanted to place over it was not maximized or bigger as the desktop resolution. But sometimes it didn't work and sometimes X just froze.

Putting windows above 3d-fullscreen windows works with the proprietary nvidia driver, with xf86-video-ati and I think it also works with xf86-video-intel.

Someone in the archlinux irc suggested that it is because fglrx doesn't use dri2 properly but rather something like dri2.
                From my Xorg.0.log I see
                Code:
                [ 24578.166] (II) Loading extension ATIFGLRXDRI
                [ 24578.309] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
                So maybe he is right and the dri implementation of ATI is more dri-like instead of dri2-like.

It also says
                Code:
                [ 24576.794] (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
                [ 24576.794] (II) "dri2" will be loaded by default.
                but that doesn't mean, that it is used, right?

Comment

Originally posted by bongmaster2
                  just run wine as root.no problem switching workspaces ort alttabbing then.
                  I tried that too (just for testing) and it didn't help. Now it was flickering all the time after alt-tabbing unti warcraft3 had the focus again.
                  Plus with wine as root there are some graphics glitches. In the warcraft3 menu there's for example the texture of the water missing.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    Since still people didn't get it:..
                    Sorry, forget my comments, yes this is definitely Catalyst bug.
                    I was referring to standard window switch keycombo, but not forceful window overlapping. This is definitely bug.

Comment

I would like to edit my posts, but you know... So new post...

I had xfwm4 compositing on and with that it is impossible to get any window over a fullscreen 3d window. Without that compositing it works for "little" windows but the fullscreen window still flickers and sometimes hangs for a second when alt-tabbing. For "big" windows it still doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X