Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more videoram after ram upgrade

Greetings.
    I'm trying 4gb in my ASUS f3sr with an ATI Radeon HD 2400. Before this I have been working with 2gb and now after the upgrade I can't bring up video again. After GRUB system starts but without video (verbose mode only).

I've uninstalled the catalyst driver just for a try and the Xorg.0.log file shows some videoram related errors. In fact seems that Xorg is not able to set any kb (0kb) of ram to the video device.

Check out the Xorg.0.log file: http://pastebin.com/2P6eR4y5

This seem to have nothing to do with the card or memory.
    But rather that RadeonHD AND Radeon drivers are loaded, RadeonHD is prefered(where mess starts), RadeonHD is unable to identify the card, unable to detect vram size, bails out returning no screens, Xorg bails out cause it cannot work without zero screens.

Uninstall radeonhd, keep only radeon(x11-x86-ati) driver.
    Should work.

If not, you can always use text consoles, or even chroot from LiveCD and add/remove drivers if grub fails. Cheers.

Comment

Thanks crazycheese but I forgot to advice to the thread that I succesfully resolved my problem just by a kernel upgrade (2.6.34 to 2.6.35).
      In fact as you say it had nothing to do with the card but with the linux kernel.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by hernan84 View Post
        Thanks crazycheese but I forgot to advice to the thread that I succesfully resolved my problem just by a kernel upgrade (2.6.34 to 2.6.35).
        In fact as you say it had nothing to do with the card but with the linux kernel.

Regards.
        Np, but its fun how could that have happened.

Comment

Working...
        X