Kernel config question for a 4870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel config question for a 4870

Any one know what does the following option does, the 4870 works well in debian testing with the open src driver. 3d was only openGL 1.5 but 2d was lightning fast so I did not try this option. Kernel is custom one built by myself.

Enable modesetting on radeon by default - NEW DRIVER

I have not been able to find much info on this setting on net and currently do not have the spare time availible to go through the src. Past experience shows that will take ages to decipher the driver.

All you need to know about configuring kernel modesetting is written here:

Comment

If you enable that option, you will get OpenGL 2.1, and a native-resolution framebuffer by default. The 3d performance might be slightly lower.

Pretty much all the new development today is focused on the kernel modesetting codepath anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        If you enable that option, you will get OpenGL 2.1, and a native-resolution framebuffer by default. The 3d performance might be slightly lower.
        Actually last I tried 3D performance was faster with KMS than UMS on my HD3870.

Comment

That's even better.

I haven't tested the UMS codepath for a long time now.

Comment

Another thing you get with KMS is DRI2.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, silly me I had a previous version of the radeonBuildHowto and i did not know that it had been updated. I have never had that much trouble with FGLRX but the OS driver is great, simply just works.

Blacksmith

Comment

Working...
              X