Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutter's Latest Release Gains Wayland Back-End

Phoronix: Clutter's Latest Release Gains Wayland Back-End

The Wayland Display Server continues moving forward and is nearing the point of usability by enthusiasts and those interested in easily trying out this display server that leverages the latest and greatest Linux graphics technologies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

interesting embedded stuff

Comment

Why only embedded stuff?

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      interesting embedded stuff
      As I understand, wayland will be more efficient with technologies like Open GL, improve visual quality (no tearing), doesn't sound to me as embedded stuff.

Comment

As I understand it, Wayland is a local-only display solution. I routinely export displays at work and at home. I can see value to Wayland, but please-oh-please-oh-please don't take away my remote display capability.

Sometimes between Wayland and super-GUI-do-it-all-for-you desktops I feel like there are forces in the world trying to turn Linux into Windows. I appreaciate the concepts of "just works" and "easy to use", but as they get in the way of "make it work by configuring it yourself" and "doing something the designers never anticipated" I start to resent it.

Comment

Hopefully Wayland will be able to do remote displays. It wouldn't surprise me if it got this feature and eventually replaced Xorg. If Xorg is so massive and confusing and ancient and slow, having great features there but poor ones elsewhere, etc, then maybe it should be replaced.

If Wayland never adopts those features that you want though, Xorg will stick around..

Comment

Just thinking for a moment... What I need is a mechanism to run X apps on a remote machine, with the display on the one where I'm seated. There are other mechanisms besides true network transparency that can do this, and perhaps one of those could be beefed up to give the appearance of true network transparency. (Think an up-to-date dxpc or GPL/bsd NX.)

Comment

the way I see it happening is like this: All major graphics toolkits will start supporting wayland. For backwards compatibility there will have to be a X backend for wayland, or every toolkit will have to keep around X support. I definitely think wayland is the way forward, and I don't mind it being similar to a windows or mac idea as long as it's a good one. Tear-free fast and awesome graphics sounds good to me :-).

Comment

Whatever, as long as I keep reasonable remote access.

Comment

most certainly enough people will put up a fuss to make that a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
                    most certainly enough people will put up a fuss to make that a requirement.
                    thats the problem when people involved are geeks that think that everyone uses their computer the same way they do

but afaik you can run X on wayland so no problem with remote stuff and maybe there will be VNC support or whatever

Comment

Working...
                    X