Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Crap! You Can Use XvMC With ATI Gallium3D!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But it's a start...!

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't XvMC only accelerate mpeg2?
    No, that's right. We are only closing the stable door after the horse has not only bolted, but settled down, raised foals and then died gracefully of old age. However, some of us have waited a very long time for the Open Source Radeon drivers to being implementing video acceleration. And it has finally begun... .

Comment

I think the point is that once you know how to implement shader-assisted decode for one API and format then implementing it for another API or format is much less daunting.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I think the point is that once you know how to implement shader-assisted decode for one API and format then implementing it for another API or format is much less daunting.
        can't be said better than that + the shaders code shouldn't change that much anyway

Comment

How does this affect folks like me running Compiz on Nouveau?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
            This is great news indeed!

I own a X1600pro (AGP) that for sure can handle XvMC and accelerate H.264 (720p) content.

I'm wondering if there is (or will ever be) this kind support for R500 cards?
            It should be possible it get it working on r300g as well. The new code looks like a port of Cooper's original r300g pipe-video work:

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              It should be possible it get it working on r300g as well. The new code looks like a port of Cooper's original r300g pipe-video work:
              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...1fb9c17d2c2ecc
              Will it be usefull for R300 hardware (like mine RV350 and RV370), too? Or does it lack of power/shader units needed for such acceleration?

Comment

No, on the VIA Unichrome it also supports Motion Compensation, IDCT and Variable-Length Decoding for MPEG-4 ASP.

I never quite understood why NVIDIA and AMD had to come up with their own XvMC replacements. XvMC can be extended to provide playback acceleration for most video codecs, and if the limitations are that bad a common open-source successor should have been developed. If you think nearly every player had to be patched to support VPDAU, just so it can accelerate playback for a codec which could have been easily added to XvMC...

Comment

As in one of the formats least needing acceleration?

I understand, that it can be done and it was fairly quickly implemented, but I don't get why people are rejoicing over this. Vdpau or Va-api yes, but this?
                  Thats right. But having the video pipe up and running on a simpler api as xvmc makes the creating of more advanced api's easier.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...1fb9c17d2c2ecc
                    By the way what is with Cooper Yuan? Since an long time he has nothing committed to mesa or the radeon Stuff.
                    Is he still at AMD?

Comment

Cooper is still at AMD, but he moved from software to one of the hardware teams.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X