Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop To Get Rid Of GNOME's Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
    If this isn't a april's fool and finally Ubuntu make this move I will move to Fedora or ArchLinux again...
    Or you could just install GNOME shell..

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      is it all simply because of touch capabilities?
      After reading http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2010/10/17...admits-it.html I'm convinced that this move is solely because Canonical own full copyrights to Unity and can license it to OEMs in order to allow them to create proprietary variants (eg. unchangeable branding, forced ads, or so).

I doubt that Canonical on its own can produce a better shell than the entire GNOME community.

Comment

Will there be no option for people who like Ubuntu/Gnome the way it is. Or will we all be forced to accept the desktops of the "future"?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Or you could just install GNOME shell..
          That could end up more difficult than it sounds. Canonical adopted new notification specs that Shell does not support. What if Canonical patches the GNOME apps in a way that they only send notifications using the new format? Users who opt for Shell would end up using a crippled environment.
          Using a different distribution altogether would be a way to avoid that.

(Disclaimer: This is obviously pure speculation as no one has seen 11.04)

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
            What if Canonical patches the GNOME apps in a way that they only send notifications using the new format?
            they dont. their patches enable the use of their notification system if available - if not it falls back to gnome default.
            If you dont want the ubuntu notifications you can simply replace their daemon with the default.

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
              they dont. their patches enable the use of their notification system if available - if not it falls back to gnome default.
              If you dont want the ubuntu notifications you can simply replace their daemon with the default.
              Then let's hope it stays that way.

Comment

old news:

it will be compiz instead of mutter for unity:

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2010/...re-for-compiz/

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                  Why the hell would you do that?! Kubuntu is packaged even worse than Ubuntu.
                  For KDE at least use SUSE
                  The day Suse uses apt with deb packages and get based on Debian, then I might use it, and I don't think I'm the only one to think like that. Until then, no dice.

I was considering at least trying Gnome Shell before deciding switching distros, but there's not even that option left. Time to go back to plain Debian, since even if I could easily revert to a normal desktop with Ubuntu or get used to Gnome Shell, I still wouldn't be using the supported desktop, and then no point in contributing any more (and thus no advantage over plain Debian and its schizophrenic development practices).

Unity is a monstrosity, even if they made it usable for 11.04 it still wouldn't be archaic while not as elegant and simple as WindowMaker (or any 10 years old NextStep clone).

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
                    The day Suse uses apt with deb packages and get based on Debian, then I might use it, and I don't think I'm the only one to think like that. Until then, no dice.
                    And why would .deb be better than RPM?
                    Why is apt better than zypper?
                    Why should openSUSE become yet another immature Debian Unstable snapshot distro?

Comment

deb eat rpm on breakfast

mandriva have other format than fedora etc.. not compatible, both rpm.

i love gnome DE and debian packages, nothing force me to move

Comment

Working...
                      X