cat. 10.10, multidisplay wtf!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat. 10.10, multidisplay wtf!?

why is it always so messy/complicated to have two monitors running with xinerama on??? is there a general way to activate it without wasting a few hours?

I have a lenovo W500 (ati mobility radeon 3XXX). Installing the newest driver (10.10) from ati works fine. BUT, when I activate a second monitor I cannot make any changes in the catalyst control center permanently. when i set "multidesktop with display 2" and change the resolution of both monitors correctly there is no fuckin change after the restart. also xinerama doesnt work. theres just no change at all! holy shit!

is it so complicated to have a driver working correctly with two monitors??

ok, I know I can search the forum, but this will take again a lot of time and nerves to sort out versions, aticonfig -whateverdifferentstuff, etc...

so, is there anyone who can explain (not only some aticonfig -handwavingwhatever) how to set up 2 monitors with different resolutions and xinerama on?

I cannot believe that this is still not working!! (year 2010, catalyst 10.10)

2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 20:45:36 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Ubuntu 10.10
    X.Org X Server 1.9.0
    Release Date: 2010-08-20
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-27-server x86_64 Ubuntu

is it so complicated to have a driver working correctly with two monitors??
    No.

I cannot believe that this is still not working!! (year 2010, catalyst 10.10)
    It works perfectly fine here.

Why use xinerama at all when you have a single GPU? xrandr works great and, prior to that, AMD's "Big Desktop" mode worked as well. There are a number of great wikis on xrandr:

That's assuming, of course, that any of the monitor configuration utilities available (arandr, or the ones that come with gnome and KDE) don't work or don't do what you'd like.

You should only use xinerama if you have multiple GPUs.

Comment

hm, ok I check this randr-thing out. thanks.

with nvidia I never had problems. I just want that when I'm in the office I can use my other monitor attached to the laptop. with 3d acceleration and extended desktop (possibility that a window can span both screens!). but it should also be possible to connect a beamer for presentations with the same image on all monitors.

In this ati catalyst center thing there are all options listed, but none of them worked.

Comment

Working...
      X