Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Go Has Been Called To Go Into GCC 4.6

Phoronix: Google's Go Has Been Called To Go Into GCC 4.6

Last year one of the many projects introduced by Google was the Go programming language. Do you remember? It's reached a state of being a production-ready language, at least within Google's confines, but this project hasn't received as much attention and interest by the Linux and open-source communities as some of their other work such as VP8 and their new container format. It's possible that this could change once the Go programming language is accessible to more developers, which may very well come with GCC 4.6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good luck with that. Go seems like a very good language. Integration into GCC will make it a lot more popular.

Comment

LLVM had gotten me more interested.

Comment

LLVM-Go, someone?

Originally posted by Micket View Post
        Then, LLVM-Go should come next!?

But I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Originally posted by From the Go FAQ
        What compiler technology is used to build the compilers?

Gccgo has a C++ front-end with a recursive descent parser coupled to the standard GCC back end. Gc is written in C using yacc/bison for the parser.

We also considered using LLVM for 6g but we felt it was too large and slow to meet our performance goals.

Comment

All these formats, frameworks and programming languages...

We got a saying in my country; "Not being able to see the forest anymore because of the trees". It obviously means that the stuff we track is getting so vast that we can't manage to keep focus on everything.

Thanks to Michael for digging through the large amount of noise and keeping us informed!

Comment

A cool side-effect of Go getting into GCC is that as part of the patches enabling Go on GCC also enables the Plan9 dialect of C to be compiled by GCC:

Might be cool and might help the plan9port guys etc.

on a side-note:
            I have been planning to try to compile php5-cli sometime under plan9/ape to see whether it works to run PTS on it (and how well it works). Unfortunately I am not yet good enough to do it (I play in 9vx, but should probably migrate to a KVM instead). If anyone already have succeeded with this it would be cool to hear about it .

Comment

Google Go GCC... GGGCC? hmmm... 3G2C!

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
                Your interest in a programming language depends on the compiler framework?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenWizard View Post
                  Good luck with that. Go seems like a very good language. Integration into GCC will make it a lot more popular.
                  Don't know if it will be a lot more popular, but given that gccgo creates much faster (due to gcc's much better optimization backend) go binaries than the official go compiler from google it will certainly be beneficial for those using go. On that subject, does anyone know it there's been a substantial uptake on Go amongst developers? Not that it likely matters that much to Google since the language was created to scratch their own itch.

Comment

I guess they decided to ignore/close Issue 9 (http://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=9).

Comment

Working...
                    X