Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Cards On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have question to bridgman or someone from Xorg devs

its difficult to make 2 differend resolutions for monitor + TV?

monitor native is 1280x1024
    TV native [the one only available] is 1024x768 [old CRT TV via svideo cable]

to have TV + monitor at same time need to change to TV native or lower

its possible to change resolution per display on driver level?
    its possible to implement?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      @bridgman, if you're listening:

I see that AMD has released a new version of UVD (3). Can you tell us if there's been any changes made to make OSS support more likely? Like a hardware redesign that makes it more secure and would allow specs to be released. Or will it be just like the previous versions?
      Quick answer is that I am not sure. At minimum it should have the helpful changes that came with UVD 2, but AFAIK it does not substantially change the risk picture.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Also, reviews are saying that the card is a very incremental jump from the evergreen architecture. Can you confirm that the drivers will be fairly easily built on top of existing evergreen support? Or if there is some substantial changes like EG had? Any chance of getting some basic 3D desktop functionality by the March/April timeframe, or is it too soon to know anything like that?
      We'll know more in another week or two. I was expecting the first Fusion parts to launch a bit earlier and the first Northern Island parts to launch a bit later, so I guess you could say we are in better shape for Ontario and worse shape for Barts than we would be in a perfect world. Initial feedback is that there are some non-trivial changes in the display portion, so stay tuned.
      Test signature

Comment

Hi, from what i can tell you, part of the "presskit" for HD 6800 launch is 116MB file AMD_Linux_Radeon_HD6800_Oct5_8.782RC2.run. I dont have time to make test under Linux, but this is first time ever, when i saw linux support directly from AMD beforce oficial launch. For me its a huge step towards :-)

(i am editor of one czech IT servers, which gets HD6850 few days ago)

PS: windows drivers 8.782 RC2 names itself "Catalyst 10.10"

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post

Unless I completely misunderstood your question '(x)randr' is what you're looking for.

Comment

no, it doesnt work like i want to

have 2 displays
            DVI + SVIDEO
            want same [clone mode] picture on both [for videos], go to bed and watch on TV, not sitting near monitor

xrandr doesnt help :<

Comment

Ahh, so you want the same content on two displays of different resolutions, right ?

In the proprietary drivers I think we call that "Overlay Theater Mode" (for historical reasons... we don't use overlay these days ).

I'm not sure if the open source drivers are able to do that yet... but if they are I expect it would take some fancy xrandr-fu.
              Test signature

Comment

method isnt important, just want to make it work ^^

its embarrassing when girlfriend comes to me, and theres problem with playing movie on TV ^^

mainly i use fglrx, its only way i can play starcraft 1 smoth [need to change from GDi to OPENGL] oss drivers are still laggy with starcraft 1 :<

theres no overlay in catalist control settings, only xinerama, witch doesnt work on clone mode

Comment

If GF comes over change res of both monitors...

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post

does this help you perhaps ? from irc
                    "Oct 23 16:24:13 <agd5f> pif: xrandr --output <output> --set underscan off
                    Oct 23 16:24:33 <Ivanovic> my tv is 1920x1080, my desktop is 1920x1200, so i want the content of my main screen duplicated on the tv and centered
                    Oct 23 16:24:38 <Ivanovic> this is the command i use:
                    Oct 23 16:24:41 <Ivanovic> xrandr --output DVI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --refresh 60.0 --pos 0x60 --set "underscan" "off"
                    Oct 23 16:24:45 <pif> meaning the driver underscans by default?
                    Oct 23 16:24:54 <Ivanovic> yes
                    Oct 23 16:25:06 <Ivanovic> when using hdmi, it does underscan as default, just as fglrx does
                    Oct 23 16:25:06 <agd5f> Ivanovic: I thought it went in in late 2.6.35, but they all run together after a while
                    Oct 23 16:25:09 <pif> since 2.6.36?
                    Oct 23 16:25:26 <agd5f> pif: yes if the monitor reports as being hdmi
                    Oct 23 16:25:34 <pif> ahhh, ok
                    "

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
                      does this help you perhaps ? from irc
                      "Oct 23 16:24:13 <agd5f> pif: xrandr --output <output> --set underscan off
                      Oct 23 16:24:33 <Ivanovic> my tv is 1920x1080, my desktop is 1920x1200, so i want the content of my main screen duplicated on the tv and centered
                      Oct 23 16:24:38 <Ivanovic> this is the command i use:
                      Oct 23 16:24:41 <Ivanovic> xrandr --output DVI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --refresh 60.0 --pos 0x60 --set "underscan" "off"
                      Oct 23 16:24:45 <pif> meaning the driver underscans by default?
                      Oct 23 16:24:54 <Ivanovic> yes
                      Oct 23 16:25:06 <Ivanovic> when using hdmi, it does underscan as default, just as fglrx does
                      Oct 23 16:25:06 <agd5f> Ivanovic: I thought it went in in late 2.6.35, but they all run together after a while
                      Oct 23 16:25:09 <pif> since 2.6.36?
                      Oct 23 16:25:26 <agd5f> pif: yes if the monitor reports as being hdmi
                      Oct 23 16:25:34 <pif> ahhh, ok
                      "
                      I think, he meant display scalling from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 on S-Video.
                      I'm interrested the same thing but 1280x1024 to 800x600 as open source radeon/r300g driver supports only 800x600 on S-video but I think it might be a lot of work to do this.

Comment

Working...
                      X