Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Cards On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same card running on Fedora 14 (beta). If you run aticonfig, it will say "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected". If you set up xorg.conf manually, though, it works, it just shows an "Unsupported hardware" watermark. You can use the fix by Kano above to remove that, though.

I used the official Catalyst 10.10 AMD package to install fglrx.

Here's a minimal xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Section "Module"
      Load "GLcore"
      Load "glx"
      Load "dri"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Card0"
      Driver     "fglrx"
    EndSection

Comment

The only part which is needed would be the driver override. But usually it is more easy to delete the file and run

aticonfig --initial --nobackup

Comment

Got it working. Thanks bunches to both of you, HackerFoo and Kano.

Comment

THanks for the tips!

Comment

I am so totally satisfied with VESA driver for my Radeon HD 6870! It makes everything seems like a slow motion and my power bill skyrockets and I actually enjoyed it!

Comment

In the proprietary drivers I think we call that "Overlay Theater Mode" (for historical reasons... we don't use overlay these days

Comment

Is there any open-source news on the 68xx? Not sure if it's implemented anywhere?

I'm currently unplugging the power to my 6870 when booting linux and it then switches to use my 4770 - I can't find any software method of ignoring the card.

Comment

maybe you can use

pciback.hide=(xx:yy.0)(xx:yy.1)

where those are the 2 or more devices you want to hide, could be up to 3.

lspci -nn

will give you the options to put into (...)

Comment

shouldn't it be enough to create an xorg.conf mentioning the correct pciid?

Comment

BusID "PCI:<slot id>"
                      in the device section of your config should do the trick. replace <bus id> with the slot id for your card (look up using lspci). E.g.,
                      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

Comment

Working...
                      X