Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel X-Video Sandybridge Support Arrives

Phoronix: Intel X-Video Sandybridge Support Arrives

While Intel has not even rolled out their Sandy Bridge processors yet, their OSTC developers have been working on support for this next-generation micro-architecture with integrated graphics core under Linux for many months. It was back in February when we originally reported on Sandy Bridge GPU support coming to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems Intel's focus moved to Core iX chipsets and I'm starting to doubt they're going to improve 4500 HD support at all.

A lesson to be learned - if some level of software support is not in place at the moment of buying hardware, don't assume it'll ever come up.

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
      if some level of software support is not in place at the moment of buying hardware, don't assume it'll ever come up
      Right on! Lets keep that in mind before we buy GPUs, assuming that open source driver support will come sooner than later.

Comment

are there any plans for Intel to switch to Gallium3D in the future ???

Comment

Michael Larabel on October 21, 2010

While Intel has not even rolled out their Sandy Bridge processors yet, their OSTC developers have been working on support for this next-generation micro-architecture with integrated graphics core under Linux for many months. It was back in February when we originally reported on Sandy Bridge GPU support coming to Linux.
          And dont forget the actual Encode/Decode ASIC in there to Michael

Most recently, Intel confirmed they plan to have their open-source 3D support readied in Mesa (via their classic driver, as they are currently not doing any Gallium3D work) this quarter, which will be in time for when the first Core i3/i5/i7 Sandy Bridge CPUs are available for purchase.
          dont forget guys, the key point "THIS QUARTER", it seems fair enough that they dont really work to hard on Gallium3D up to this point, 2011 seems more realistic for that to become a main focus as the sandy bridge CPU's are not even out yet, and only a few 3rd party dev's are getting access to them as i type this.....

As the most recent advancement in Intel Sandy Bridge Linux support, Haihao Xiang from Intel China has published patches providing X-Video support for the next-generation Intel graphics core. These patches add around 1,000 lines of code to the xf86-video-intel driver in enabling this Xv support. Though a current limitation of this code is that shadow needs to be disabled (via the xorg.conf) for the X-Video adapter to work.
          while its interesting to hear about Haihao Xiang from Intel China's initial work, there's far more interesting word directly from Francois Piednoel , (Senior Performance analyst at Intel) see link below

The start of the patch set can be found in this mailing list post on intel-gfx.

While it's nice to see X-Video support as another feature to arrive in Intel's Linux driver stack prior to this hardware even being released, it's H.264 VA-API support that we really want to see for Sandy Bridge in terms of better accelerating video playback on modern hardware.
          and here's the main point Michael id like you to know about, and be clear given you're well founded focus on accelerating video playback, dont forget accelerating video Encoding too with Sandy Bridge for the masses.

Francois Piednoel , (Senior Performance analyst at Intel) had posted that he has patched x264 to take advantage of the actual new sandy bridge Encode/Decode Engine He helped to make, and is working with the x264 devs and others to finalize a good API etc, also they are well known to also hack on FFmpeg and use that as their preferred input/decode code base and have told Francois to also include FFmpeg in any viable SandyBridge Encode/Decode engine patches he provides.

heres basically whats currently publicly known see: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...116#post153116 and my post's to gbeauche the VA-API dev there , he will Now also probably get access RSN to these sandy bridge chips, and perhaps work together with the x264/FFmpeg's dev's to provide something very interesting and open for end users long term Encode/Decode benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
            It seems Intel's focus moved to Core iX chipsets and I'm starting to doubt they're going to improve 4500 HD support at all.

A lesson to be learned - if some level of software support is not in place at the moment of buying hardware, don't assume it'll ever come up.
            I wish I built my HTPC based on their promises. Not to say it doesn't play H264 ok. I just wish is played it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
              I wish I built my HTPC based on their promises. Not to say it doesn't play H264 ok. I just wish is played it better.
              well look on the bright side Tgui, at least you get to play [email protected] AVC on that, with a potential that it will still be supported and perhaps improved sooner or later, unlike AMD's UVD Decode ASIC as it seems AMD's UVD is nearly now as good as dead for end user use, even gbeauche the actual VA-API dev for that AMD UVD ASIC agree's.

Comment

Working...
              X