ATI KMS Power Saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI KMS Power Saving

I'm a little confused on the current power saving capabilities with the latest AMD/ATI drivers and kernel.
    Is dynamic voltage supported?
    I can get power profiles to work without issue on my Evergreen GPU. However, it seems to only adjust memory and engine clock, not voltage.
    Anyone know the current status?

Changing the voltage is supported as well.

Comment

Anything needed to get it to work besides the lastest kernel + xf86-video-ati?
      I'm using drm-radeon-testing kernel and lastest git version of the xf86 driver.
      Using dynpm or a profile seems to work great for clocks but I don't see a change in voltage on my GPU.
      Sensors report 900mv on my 5830 Mobility and never changes.
      Could it be that sensors are reporting incorrectly or perhaps because its a laptop?

Comment

Sounds like your laptop VBIOS may only have low voltage states. A 5830 is a pretty big chip for a laptop and it may be that the cooling solution can only handle lower voltages. Just guessing.
        Test signature

Comment

I had not thought of that Bridgman. I'm not entirely sure how to check what voltages are in the vbios.
          The reason i'm trying to investigate this is that the GPU is running 10-15C hotter in linux than windows.

The windows drivers have the gpu idle at 100mhz. The same as the "low" profile in linux. However, using the low profile causes 2d functions to be too slow (moving windows, scrolling, etc). So, I tried using dynpm instead of profiles but it doesn't seem to work at all. Setting dynpm results in no change from whatever the previous clock settings were.

All that said, after running the low profile for a while it is still 8C hotter than windows.

Comment

Working...
          X