Upset that my school is now a "success story" for migration to Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    There's a simple solution - don't use fglrx, but Open Source drivers. Using Linux you don't have to care about viruses and all of such mess.
    $ wine masseffect2.exe
    [snip error messages]

Yep, open source driver. Never worked better.

Comment

Sounds to me like this DiStasi guy mailed in his MCSE exam.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
        That's news to me: I had a hard time finding anything when using Windows 7.
        I didn't. Everything was where I expected it to be. People I know also didn't have real difficulties. Everything is explained in the dialogs in a way everyone understands and only very little help from me was needed.

Then they'll be happy with Gnome, since it's using the same basic interface as every major GUI of the last decade.
        So does Windows. Again, nothing here offered by Gnome that Windows users don't already have.

So you think that a completely different interface is easier for people to use than what is basically a copy of the older Office interface?
        Yes, since it's easier to use. And besides, you assume that people jump to the latest MS Office instead of keeping their current one. And if they don't, and really prefer OpenOffice, I must inform you that OpenOffice works in Windows just fine. Why switch to Linux for OpenOffice if you can have it in Windows too? There's no reason to.

Seriously, if you're going to make these kind of claims then there's really no point in this discussion; nothing is going to convince you that Windows is not the One True Operating System. I've had to help friends who've switched from XP to Widows 7 and it ain't pretty.
        I helped people go to W7 too. Also tried to make some of them use Linux (Ubuntu and OpenSUSE.) They kept Windows and were seeking help removing the Linux partition and reclaim the disk space. About 95% of all people I helped didn't like Linux and preferred Windows 7. The only thing they liked about Linux were the wobbly windows. Everything else they found pretty lame.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          $ wine masseffect2.exe
          [snip error messages]

Mass Effect 2 on a R300-R500 on Wine? Yeah, right.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Mass Effect 2 on a R300-R500 on Wine? Yeah, right.
            Yeah right, people with HD4000 or HD5000 boards don't exist. Everyone has R300-R500 cards.

What on earth was your point with that reply?

Comment

$ wine masseffect2.exe
              [snip error messages]

I thought we're talking about some students not about hardcore gamers. :P

Comment

Until this stuff is fixed in Linux, Windows *is* the better OS for the computer illiterate. Instead of complaining about people preferring Windows, Linux distros should get their act together.
                This is just bull:

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  I can imagine the list of schools using Windows is about a thousand times bigger :P

Comment

I can imagine the list of schools using Windows is about a thousand times bigger :P
                    Yep it is. I know that a few years ago, late 90's early 2000's the education department where I am, signed a contract with MS. This allowed schools to purchase MS software (any MS software) for $10. All they had to do was use MS products exclusively (as in operating systems; server and client)

Comment

An end user if they are restricted from admin usage really shouldn't care what OS they are using as long as they can use the programs they are required to use. My mother the technophobe uses Linux at home. She can send her e-mails, write her whatever it is she writes, download images from her camera. She's even found her Solitaire games. The only thing she can't seem to do is click the little X button to close programs down She knows KDE looks different to the WinXP at work, but she doesn't care.

As for the administrator, I would think it would be less expensive to hire someone who knew the current software being deployed than to replace it all to a different platform

Comment

Working...
                      X