Clear All

yea yea... you broke GTK in KDE then

Comment

Kate on Gnome, for your approval

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Oxymoron.

For some definition of 'fine'.

Non sequitur. WinForms are not a cross-platform UI toolkit.

What about KDE or Mac OS X?

You might get by just fine with piss-poor porting jobs (say, Gimp), but more discerning users might not.

It's a real issue, though. GTK uses some Tango-based icon set and completely disregards what the underlying platform provides.

Yes, it's possible to run some GTK application on other operating systems but the toolkit provides a completely alien/non-native experience. It's not a good choice if cross-platform support is one of your core design goals.
        Dude, who are you, and why do you think you have any idea what you're talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          QT is also good, but i HATE HATE HATE HATE when you use arguments, that QT is KEWL because it looks good on GTK and GTK on Qt doesn't.. its bullshit
          It's not bullshit, but true. Qt applications look (if you don't broke it) far better in Gnome then Gtk applications in KDE. Gtk applications look incredibly sucks in KDE till you don't use some ugly hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
            yea yea... you broke GTK in KDE then
            Can you broke something which is broken on the beginning?

Comment

Originally posted by Culex View Post
              On the other hand one could argue that it's good for cross platform consistency.
              Cross-platform consistency is not a good reason for a bad experience on 2/3 platforms.

Comment

i croke Qt colors? so i cant see fonts? because they are white, and background is white? cant change color on QT config? sorry, but this is bullshit

integration suck both ways

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
                  Dude, who are you, and why do you think you have any idea what you're talking about?
                  Looks like I stepped on someones toes. Lol.

Do you disagree that Gimp is a piss-poor porting job on other operating systems? Just use its file open dialog on KDE and you'll understand.

Or do you disagree that GTK fails to offer a native experience on every WM outside of Gnome? Tango icon set, alien file dialogs, wrong button order, wrong widget sizes - it does an awful job on KDE/Win/Mac.

If you have a counter-argument I'd love to hear it.

Comment

Do you disagree that Gimp is a piss-poor porting job on other operating systems? Just use its file open dialog on KDE and you'll understand.

Or do you disagree that GTK fails to offer a native experience on every WM outside of Gnome? Tango icon set, alien file dialogs, wrong button order, wrong widget sizes - it does an awful job on KDE/Win/Mac.

Qt is not vastly better, inherently. It seems as though work is needed to make a Qt application look native on a different desktop (per my link). Here is a pic of Gimp running on what looks like XP from the Gimp site. Looks about as ugly as everything else on Windows:P
                    Button ordering is a fairly small thing to keep mentioning, BS, but I understand how fun it is getting a rise out of people
                    IMHO, wxWidgets is the way to go for xplatform. It had, for me, surprisingly extensive libraries and a pretty small download.
                    All this aside, I think xplatform is not the best way to get users to linux, but it is nice that our toolkits are at least able to do this to some extent.

Comment

GTK isn't meant to bring a native experience on every WM outside of gnome. In fact it's primary aimed at GNOME/Xfce these days.

If you don't like it's "awful job" on KDE/Win/Mac which it's not made for, then don't bother with it. That's why KDE/Win/Mac all have their own applications.

That's like complaining that your iPod theme doesn't match your USB cable or something. It's not made to do that. It's made to be a base toolkit (only above X11) that provides it's own widgets and themes and doesn't rely on the underlying platform to provide them.

All of the things you mentioned are such different platforms (C/C++/Objective-C) that integrating them screams bad idea and messy code.

Comment

Working...
                      X