Notebook Hybrid Graphics On Linux Still Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flowerdealer View Post
    My opinion is that it is distasteful. As in "untasty" dicks.
    Aren't those the worst!

Comment

N******* H****** G****** O* L**** S***** S***** would have been far better title.

Comment

Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
        I cannot believe the title of this article. "sucks" as in "sucks dick"?!? I think that the editors need to step back and take a hard look at what image that creates for Phoronix. I did not think that Phoronix was some 14 year old's blog.
        I wholeheartedly agree. Micheal should take a look at http://tweakers.net/ . That's a professional tech news-site.

Comment

I'm just guessing here, but I think the main reason no-one pays more attention to this is that there's not an awful lot of point. All switchable graphics systems have an Intel chip for power saving and an NVIDIA or ATI for performance...but on Linux, the NVIDIA or ATI chip is probably only going to perform appreciably better than the Intel one with a proprietary driver. And given past history with things like RandR 1.2, the proprietary drivers aren't terribly likely to grow support for an X.org standard switching framework even if one gets written. So why bother? If you've got a switchable laptop you may as well just lock it into Intel and enjoy the power saving, or if you need performance, lock it into the other chip and use the proprietary driver...

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
            I wholeheartedly agree. Micheal should take a look at http://tweakers.net/ . That's a professional tech news-site.
            Ugh, my eyes! This is one ugly site.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Ugh, my eyes! This is one ugly site.
              You can completely customize it when you sign up (layout and color schemes). Also, their articles are very well written.

Comment

Oh gosh.. so much for a discussion ON TOPIC. Who cares if it's sucks or blows... I'm far more pissed that you guys just spent 2 pages discussing something that's not worth reading at all.

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                I'm just guessing here, but I think the main reason no-one pays more attention to this is that there's not an awful lot of point. All switchable graphics systems have an Intel chip for power saving and an NVIDIA or ATI for performance...but on Linux, the NVIDIA or ATI chip is probably only going to perform appreciably better than the Intel one with a proprietary driver. And given past history with things like RandR 1.2, the proprietary drivers aren't terribly likely to grow support for an X.org standard switching framework even if one gets written. So why bother? If you've got a switchable laptop you may as well just lock it into Intel and enjoy the power saving, or if you need performance, lock it into the other chip and use the proprietary driver...
                Yea lock it to Intel and lose the HDMI output, which on switchable laptops is stuck to the discrete card... That's not really a solution if you want to use your laptop, for example to show your folks the photos on their LCD TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro View Post
                  Oh gosh.. so much for a discussion ON TOPIC. Who cares if it's sucks or blows... I'm far more pissed that you guys just spent 2 pages discussing something that's not worth reading at all.
                  Cool story bro.

Comment

I'm using a K42Jc notebook, so far I've only turned off the discrete GPU and I'm wondering where I can use the nVidia proprietary drivers with restarting Xorg(It doesn't need to be seamless, at least for me!) is it stable at the moment? Thanks Oh and btw, please post a link to a guide(or similar)

Comment

Working...
                    X