Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATI Linux Users Get Excited For Catalyst 10.10

We should not forget, that they fixed this http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1824

Steam games?

It's not a secret that ATi is on the forefront of open source drivers. Now the closed source drivers are catching up to nVidia's closed source driver.

With HTC Linux Android phones using AMD GPU's and the ATi Linux desktop having the best FLOSS drivers and a pretty good proprietary driver, AMD GPUs could become the one stop shop for Linux graphics. Who would have thought, few years ago, that this would possibly happen?

"AMD all the way" still holds this very day. Best price/performance, greenest full fledged GPU's, fasted GPUs and most widely supported GPUs! :O

AMDs' at it, big time!

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    It's not a secret that ATi is on the forefront of open source drivers. Now the closed source drivers are catching up to nVidia's closed source driver.

With HTC Linux Android phones using AMD GPU's and the ATi Linux desktop having the best FLOSS drivers and a pretty good proprietary driver, AMD GPUs could become the one stop shop for Linux graphics. Who would have thought, few years ago, that this would possibly happen?

"AMD all the way" still holds this very day. Best price/performance, greenest full fledged GPU's, fasted GPUs and most widely supported GPUs! :O

AMDs' at it, big time!
    So tell me... which of HTC's Android phones ships with an AMD GPU instead of Qualcomm's SOCs?

I'll agree that the AMD open source drivers are really good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the closed drivers are in any way close to being good.

Perhaps they're better than they used to be, but I still can't get dual screens working. It took me a trivial amount of time to set up on the open drivers, even back when the drivers were still extremely new. Just last week I had working dual screen on Fedora right out of the box, but that all ended when I installed fglrx.

Once you go dual screen, it's impossible to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    So tell me... which of HTC's Android phones ships with an AMD GPU instead of Qualcomm's SOCs?
    Gsmarena, Androidworld, go look for yourself...

AMDs' at it, big time!
    I like AMD too, but let's not get carried away. Where's my video decode acceleration at?

Quote Originally Posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    Perhaps they're better than they used to be, but I still can't get dual screens working. It took me a trivial amount of time to set up on the open drivers, even back when the drivers were still extremely new. Just last week I had working dual screen on Fedora right out of the box, but that all ended when I installed fglrx.

Once you go dual screen, it's impossible to go back.
    I agree that dual monitors are awesome. What I don't agree with is the issue with setting them up using the ATI propertiy driver. I have been using the early release drive in Arch for awhile. I even have dual monitors setup with KDE SC desktop effects. All I did was use the ATI utilities to configure it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    I like AMD too, but let's not get carried away. Where's my video decode acceleration at?
    This was a rhetorical question. I know it's coming in the form of a gallium3d state tracker using shaders.

BTW, a word has not yet been invented to describe how much I detest the one-minute edit rule.

Gsmarena, Androidworld, go look for yourself...
    Interesting that wikipedia's article on HTC phones wouldn't mention anything about that. Plenty of Qualcomm's and TI's SOCs in there though...