Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Linux Users Get Excited For Catalyst 10.10

Phoronix: ATI Linux Users Get Excited For Catalyst 10.10

In what has become an unfortunate tradition for the past few releases, prior to the release of Ubuntu 10.10, AMD provided Canonical with a pre-release of their latest proprietary Catalyst driver at the time. They have done this to fix some major bugs, but primarily to provide a working ATI/AMD proprietary graphics driver that will run against their latest Ubuntu Linux release as usually their latest public releases at the time do not support Ubuntu's kernel and/or X.Org Server. With Maverick Meerkat, which was released yesterday, there is a pre-release of the Catalyst 10.10 Linux driver, which will not be released to the general public until later in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it support 2.6.36?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

ArchLinux has had a beta of 10.10 as a pkgbuild for a while now... and I am running it with xserver 1.9

It may take a bit of fiddling if you have leftovers from the previous driver but .... that seems to happen on all distros and catalyst upgrades I have tried (and I always use the package manager too).

lots of rendering in wine is broken for me for some reason...

Comment

Title is very misleading. I don't see anyone getting "excited" over fglrx. Excitement over gallium3d progress, yes.

Highly unlikely it supports 2.6.36

Comment

"Fixed text corruption in Steam games "
          Wait what?

Comment

ATI Linux Users Get Excited For Catalyst 10.10

There's nothing to be excited about, it's still a piece of proprietary and binary code, so it's worth nothing, and can't excite anybody that has a clue.

Comment

steam games???

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              "Fixed text corruption in Steam games "
              Wait what?
              yeah, i was equally perplexed! could this mean what i think it means? we can only dream

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
                yeah, i was equally perplexed! could this mean what i think it means? we can only dream
                Heh... Don't read more into that than you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Heh... Don't read more into that than you need to.
                  Most probably they mean a fix for this bug:
                  Ticket 811722 - Missing text/characters
                  http://www.codeweavers.com/support/t...cket_id=811722

Comment

They could just mean Steam through WINE. Although we can hope otherwise

Comment

Working...
                    X