Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Needs Help With Timing Management

Phoronix: Nouveau Needs Help With Timing Management

For those owners of NVIDIA graphics hardware that are already using -- or interested in using -- the open-source Nouveau driver that is developed by the community as an alternative to NVIDIA's proprietary driver, the developers could use some help. Martin Peres has issued a testing request for people to try out new code for the Nouveau driver that deals with memory timing management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have to mention Nibitor again! The author's help will be the most appreciated!

Comment

Is it really that hard to offer statically linked binaries of the required tools?

Really, I would love to help as I have access to quite a few Linux boxes all running Nvidia hardware. However having to manually checkout and compile the source code it is a bit much to ask. If you want help you should really make it a bit easier for the not so experienced users.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
        Have to mention Nibitor again! The author's help will be the most appreciated!
        I totally agree here. The fact is, just like the nvclock author, he doesn't want to help. Well, he will still be able to read our doc when we are done. I guess this is why he is not interested in helping...

/me wishes Windows developers were more open.

Originally posted by Temar View Post
        Is it really that hard to offer statically linked binaries of the required tools?

Really, I would love to help as I have access to quite a few Linux boxes all running Nvidia hardware. However having to manually checkout and compile the source code it is a bit much to ask. If you want help you should really make it a bit easier for the not so experienced users.
        I totally agree here, I know we are not helping "not so experienced users", but please acknowledge that the tool I ask you to use are updated on a daily basis and usually are only used by less than ten developers. This is the first time we actually ask users for help.

Also, providing binaries isn't that simple. We can't really guarantee it will work everywhere :s
        Anyway, both vbtracetool and peek have very few dependencies, copying the binaries generated on a linux distro should work on others (as long as you're not mixing 32 and 64 bit systems).

If we happen to lack some card support, be sure we'll consider adding a binary version of these tools.

Thanks for sharing your problem to us.

@Michael:
        We have received around 40 answers, I wasn't expecting that much! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post

Sorry, I've written the above answer in several pieces and actually forgot your first sentence. And I can't edit my post again.

I would really appreciate if you could do this (statically linked tools), use it on your nvidia boxes and send the whole on my email.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
            providing binaries isn't that simple.

Comment

Are you kidding me?

If you write the packages, I'm OK to link to them (I would be glad to in fact).

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                @Michael:
                We have received around 40 answers, I wasn't expecting that much! Thanks!
                No problem, glad Phoronix could be of assistance, let me know when you need more testing notices in the future
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sent the info for my Thinkpad T510.

Good luck to all Noveau devs!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                    Sent the info for my Thinkpad T510.

Good luck to all Noveau devs!
                    Thanks a lot, I received it but you forgot the content of the strap register (see the updated wiki page)

I sent you an email but it returned to me. It had been considered as spam.

Please send me the content of the register.

Thanks, we need to be lucky, brave and have testers

Comment

Working...
                    X