Ubuntu 10.10 Has Arrived On 10/10/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    A rolling release means that there are no releases, like in Arch or Gentoo. You simply install whatever versions are in the repositories and upgrade daily.

Ubuntu does not use rolling releases. It uses traditional releases every 6 months, like 10.10 followed 10.4.

You could always upgrade an ext3 partition to ext4. It just meant that you lost a couple of advanced features of the filesystem.

Also, you do not need a complete re-install to change a filesystem, ever. Only a spare hard-disk and some advanced knowledge.
    I find most PC forum writers are very ignorant of what is happening on the planet. A tiny minority of Linux-type users are SERVER ADMINISTRATORS.

Linux is badly attempting to reach the 99% of PC users. Most of the PC users are using netbooks, notebooks, tablets, smartphones.

Most PC users do NOT have a "spare hard disk". Ur still in the last century.

On all my single drive portables, I have two op sys boot-ups. Netbook % notebook used to have Win7, 32 & 64 bit respectively. 64 bit is a pain in both Windows & Linux - I have 4gb ram at the most.

My HTC HD2 smartphone runs Win 6.5 & Android. 3 other portable computers are using PINGUY, SUPER-OS, MINT & sometimes legally timid Ubuntu.

Like most PC users, I don't program, don't edit multimedia, don't want to know about silly "libraries", primitive CLI (command line idiots), "programming languages" that every PC User is forced to eventually meet in Linux.

Easily fragile children like attacking the messenger of the truth. The obsessives stuck in the code hacking are so easily proud of how unfriendly Linux is. On behalf of the 99% of PERSONAL computer users, I'm waiting for the time when Linux and its obsessives grow up.

At his stage I'm examining whether my file categorization system will tidy up the mess of categories in Linux. Low priority for me - since I have much friendlier, versatile, powerfl, better-apped Windows to use. Like 99% of PC users.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
      I find most PC forum writers are very ignorant of what is happening on the planet. A tiny minority of Linux-type users are SERVER ADMINISTRATORS.

Linux is badly attempting to reach the 99% of PC users. Most of the PC users are using netbooks, notebooks, tablets, smartphones.

Most PC users do NOT have a "spare hard disk". Ur still in the last century.

On all my single drive portables, I have two op sys boot-ups. Netbook % notebook used to have Win7, 32 & 64 bit respectively. 64 bit is a pain in both Windows & Linux - I have 4gb ram at the most.

My HTC HD2 smartphone runs Win 6.5 & Android. 3 other portable computers are using PINGUY, SUPER-OS, MINT & sometimes legally timid Ubuntu.

Like most PC users, I don't program, don't edit multimedia, don't want to know about silly "libraries", primitive CLI (command line idiots), "programming languages" that every PC User is forced to eventually meet in Linux.

Easily fragile children like attacking the messenger of the truth. The obsessives stuck in the code hacking are so easily proud of how unfriendly Linux is. On behalf of the 99% of PERSONAL computer users, I'm waiting for the time when Linux and its obsessives grow up.

At his stage I'm examining whether my file categorization system will tidy up the mess of categories in Linux. Low priority for me - since I have much friendlier, versatile, powerfl, better-apped Windows to use. Like 99% of PC users.
      Developers, developers, developers, developers!
      Mr. Ballmer, this is Nix forum, in case you didn't notice it.

Please, let users do what they want. Transcode multimedia, play games, do office, do time management, use scipting for automation, draw, compose, do photo works etc etc.

If you are tired of so many apps on your system, there is a deinstall button. Your system would be pretty slick with Minesweeper only. You dont even need WM, just minesweeper.

Perfect!

Just 300$.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
        ..since I have much friendlier, versatile, powerfl, better-apped Windows to use. Like 99% of PC users.
        since I have much stupider, vendor locked-in, low-performance, virus-affected, unstable, dll-helled, pricy Billdows to use. Like 99% of noobs.

*FIXED*

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          I like the social crap integration but Gwibber is unbelievably slow for such a simple app. It also has many bugs, like not displaying the time units, at least on my language it only shows something like "updated 3 ago". It's also very ugly. In fact I'm still looking for a desktop app to acces my twitter accounts, but I end up always going back to the web interface which is excellent and much better than all the apps I've tried. Same story with facebook.
          Yeah, Gwibber is not a very good app right now. I get that it's one guy working on it at his spare time but it leaves a *lot* to be desired (slow, crashy, broken functionality).

Ideally, we need an app that can interact with social networks without need of their browser interface (for instance, the ability to subscribe to a twitter feed through an email link without opening a browser).

Maybe the desktop is ok, but the netbook edition is terrible. By far the worst experience I had on a netbook. No, actually that was KDE netbook, ubuntu netbook 10.10 is the second worst.
          I tried the netbook interface but it's still not very good. Fortunately, regular Ubuntu with AWN + Gnome Do + easystroke makes for a crazy good netbook experience. Much better than either Win7 or Snow Leopard usability-wise.

Comment

Working...
          X