No announcement yet.

What Will Be Talked About At The Ubuntu 11.04 Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a follow-up, there are a lot of reasons still to sort your music by folder, like when it comes time to move or copy things around. Really, the entire desktop needs to be formulated for such an environment of dealing with meta-data instead of directly with files, and AFAIK that is the new thing Gnome 3 wants to push for, and no doubt KDE as well. Getting rid of Nautilus, and just using other software for media management. Sounds interesting, and I'm interested to see what issues arise because of it. Most likely there will still be a need for Nautilus and other file managers for a long while to come, particularly for obscure file formats and system administrators in general, but those things could be left to the Server versions of distros, while the Desktop versions could stop carrying file managers by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Really, the entire desktop needs to be formulated for such an environment of dealing with meta-data instead of directly with files, and AFAIK that is the new thing Gnome 3 wants to push for, and no doubt KDE as well.
      Oh, please don't. I really, really hate the way that Windows now combines all your files into 'libraries' so you have no idea where the damn files really are.

And I'm sure this will get particularly exciting when you have your music on a server that's NFS-mounted and take your laptop on vacation so the 'smart' file manager is trying to access files on a server that no longer exists on the local LAN. Gnome handles that badly enough already.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
        Good applications please. The OS is alright but Openoffice/Gimp/Pitivi aren't capable of standing up to their MS counterparts in terms of quality. Rythmbox owns every mediaplayer on earth though imho.
        I don't think these things are specific to Ubuntu and you sort of derailed the thread. If that was your intention, good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          Before posting vlakeies Blackstar, read carefully my posts.
          I said nothing different.
          Yes, we actually agreed for once. Fancy that, eh?

Your attitude is pretty lame, though.

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          I don't think these things are specific to Ubuntu and you sort of derailed the thread. If that was your intention, good job.
          I'd argue that his wish for good/better applications is a valid one. I didn't take his post to mean that Ubuntu has to develop those applications themselves. Their job, as distributors, is to find the best applications, polish them, fund them if necessary and package them for their users.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Yes, we actually agreed for once. Fancy that, eh?

Your attitude is pretty lame, though.
            While replying to posts without reading them or comprehending them is a respectable attitude?
            Oddly we have agreed few times before...

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              While replying to posts without reading them or comprehending them is a respectable attitude?
              Oddly we have agreed few times before...
              Why do you think that I didn't read what you read? You actually confirmed that our posts agree.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Why do you think that I didn't read what you read? You actually confirmed that our posts agree.

Apopas:
                There is no way someone who is not Professional or serious hobbyist to consider Gimp as an inferior product.

BlackStar: As long as it doesn't, Photoshop remains ahead for professional usage.

Apopas:
                I'm not saying that Gimp is superior to Photoshop ofcourse,

BlackStar:
                Gimp is a great program on its own right, I use it and love it, but it's not in the same ballpark as Photoshop (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Thanks, dad always told me I should do the things I am good at.

In all seriousness though, Canoncical is capable of funding more work on OO/Gimp/Pitivi/etc. which is why I said that. An Ubuntu conference would be a good place to discuss this and therefor I write this. Maybe there's someone out there at Canonical who agrees and starts talking about it over there.

So I think it's pretty on-topic. Feel free to disagree though. At least I try to make a constructive point. The guys above this post are the ones making the thread totally worthless.

Comment

Working...
                  X