Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Will Be Talked About At The Ubuntu 11.04 Summit

Phoronix: What Will Be Talked About At The Ubuntu 11.04 Summit

Besides talking about performance at the Ubuntu Developer Summit later this month in Orlando for Ubuntu 11.04, there will also be discussions and tracks for hardware compatibility, Ubuntu as the project and community, application selections and defaults, how to empower application developers, cloud infrastructure, and multimedia...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

btrfs please

Comment

Good applications please. The OS is alright but Openoffice/Gimp/Pitivi aren't capable of standing up to their MS counterparts in terms of quality. Rythmbox owns every mediaplayer on earth though imho.

Comment

if the spaceman decides to fire the whole design team i will be happy with it

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
        Good applications please. The OS is alright but Openoffice/Gimp/Pitivi aren't capable of standing up to their MS counterparts in terms of quality. Rythmbox owns every mediaplayer on earth though imho.

care to explain what are the problems with OpenOffice??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          care to explain what are the problems with OpenOffice??
          Very slow on start-up, has bugs (some of them years old), it crashes sometimes and it isn't very intuitive.

I didn't notice how bad it was until my classmates had to use it a week and pointed out every little error to me. I did look up the bugs, but none of them where new.

BTW they all agreed that they like open alternatives better when quality would be equal to the closed ones.

Comment

Very slow on start-up, has bugs (some of them years old), it crashes sometimes and it isn't very intuitive.

I didn't notice how bad it was until my classmates had to use it a week and pointed out every little error to me. I did look up the bugs, but none of them where new.
            Slow on start-up? If you turn off Java support OpenOffice takes two to three seconds to start on moderate hardware. With an SSD it comes down to around one second.

Bugs? Yes, but the MS counterpart has them, too. Intuitive? It's more or less a carbon copy of Office 2003. This wasn't intuitive to use either? Having used Office 2003/OpenOffice for years, I find the ribbon interface a pain in the ass. So, as far as intuitivity goes, a large part of it is a matter of taste.

BTW they all agreed that they like open alternatives better when quality would be equal to the closed ones.
            Because... they wouldn't have to download their applications from some seedy warez sites?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
              Slow on start-up? If you turn off Java support OpenOffice takes two to three seconds to start on moderate hardware. With an SSD it comes down to around one second.
              I don't know what you consider to be "moderate hardware" but a SSD surely is not in my book. As for being slow on start up: Open Office requires three times the time it takes MS Office 2010 to start up in whine on my net-book. I'd say that's pretty bad.

Bugs? Yes, but the MS counterpart has them, too. Intuitive? It's more or less a carbon copy of Office 2003. This wasn't intuitive to use either? Having used Office 2003/Open Office for years, I find the ribbon interface a pain in the ass. So, as far as intuitivity goes, a large part of it is a matter of taste.
              I haven't found one yet in 2010 and I have been using that since release. We have found a couple of them in OO and that was only in one week. Sure, MS Office has bugs but they aren't getting in my way. The ones in OO are. Crashing or hanging or layout that won't change anymore is something that should really be looked into. It is not something minor.

As for the ribbon interface; it works great but it was not what I was aiming at. MS Office 2003 is also more intuitive then OO. Things just aren't always logical in the OO menu's to me. And yes, it is a matter of taste. But it was a general consensus over here so I guess that counts for something.

Because... they wouldn't have to download their applications from some seedy warez sites?
              Are you going to be all hostile now because I was not telling something nice about Openoffice?

Comment

I think Rhythmbox is one of the weakest points of Ubuntu. It has unusual, messed up playlist. I don't know any better GIMP or OOo equivalent on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  I think Rhythmbox is one of the weakest points of Ubuntu. It has unusual, messed up playlist. I don't know any better GIMP or OOo equivalent on Linux.
                  Ouch!
                  *hopes his Rythmbox stays working as good as it does...

Gimp or OO aren't bad. I just think there's a lot of room for improvement there instead of the OS.

Comment

OpenOffice and Pitivi ok, but that exactly is "MS counterpart" for GIMP?

Comment

Working...
                    X