Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    @BlackStar,
    Haters gonna hate C++. You shouldn't hate C++ for segfaults, but your own coding skill. If you're experiencing a hell of segfault then that means that you are an extremely crappy coder.
    What do trolls do when they run out of arguments? Oh, right, personal attacks!

My software works fine, thank you very much. Unfortunately, I am often forced to use 3rd party software written in C++ and that's when the problems start. I'll take a stable Mono application over a crashy C++ every time.

Comment

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
      I can't really name any ways that .NET is superior to Java. I can name quite a few where the reverse is true though, and Java adoption is many times greater than .NET no matter where you go.
      Generics. There you go.

Also, your comment on Qt being unstable is BS and FUD. Its more stable, better written, more feature rich, portable and (surprise!) lighter weight than GTK/Gnome at this point.
      So if sucky library A is better than sucky library B then library A doesn't suck? Doesn't compute.

Yeah, both Qt and GTK suck, get over it. For different reasons, but they do suck.

I still haven't seen any compelling reason to use .NET over C/C++ or Java, or Mono over any native Linux development framework. There just is none. Even if you don't want to do your own memory management there are better alternatives.
      You aren't looking hard enough.

Comment

@BlackStar,
        I clearly said "if" and that's linked to "extremely crappy coder", but _IF_ you choice to respond to this _then_ should I presume that's true? (question)

Comment

Mono, I wonder whose idea it was to name it after a viral disease. Must have come out of Redmond, someone's got a very twisted sense of humor there. I would love to see the confidential emails about that. Maybe time for another Comes v. Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Yeah, both Qt and GTK suck, get over it. For different reasons, but they do suck.
            I remember the same great arguments you were using back few months ago against Hoodlum. it was a rather enjoyable conversation...

Comment

So if sucky library A is better than sucky library B then library A doesn't suck? Doesn't compute.
              Mono sucks. Does your logic apply now?

Mono sucks, get over it. For different reasons, but it does suck.

Oh, and while I'm at it: I'll take a stable C++ app over an unstable Mono app. I'll also take an unstable C++ app over an unstable Mono app.

You're just SAYING things without providing real world advantages over existing tech (that does the job better anyway).

You aren't looking hard enough.
              I used to develop using .NET (VB.NET/C#), now its more or less every platform/framework OTHER than .NET (and Win32/Win64 of course). That say anything for you? If I have to look that hard, then its not worth using. There are -zero- reasons to develop an application with Linux as your target audience to use Mono. Zero. I found it hard to justify using .NET on Windows over Win32, even.

Can you provide any real compelling reasons other than 'stability', which is really subject to how well the developer does his memory management? There is always a potential for said developer to do it better than a VM / Interpreter layer because then he can optimize for his specific use case.

Comment

Social disease

Glad i use a distro that doesn't infect my system by default with this social disease. No need for a cure if you never contract the disease in the first place. =)

Comment

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                  You're just SAYING things without providing real world advantages over existing tech (that does the job better anyway).
                  You don't provide real-world examples either, so it's alright.

I used to develop using .NET (VB.NET/C#), now its more or less every platform/framework OTHER than .NET (and Win32/Win64 of course). That say anything for you?
                  No, not really. There are hundreds of different technologies, you are bound to use one or another.

If I have to look that hard, then its not worth using. There are -zero- reasons to develop an application with Linux as your target audience to use Mono. Zero. I found it hard to justify using .NET on Windows over Win32, even.

Can you provide any real compelling reasons other than 'stability', which is really subject to how well the developer does his memory management? There is always a potential for said developer to do it better than a VM / Interpreter layer because then he can optimize for his specific use case.
                  You can embed the Mono runtime in a 2MB executable and code your application on any Mono language. This gets you an excellent IDE, debugger, a great standard library, superb scripting capabilities, performance, better-than-average stability and memory management for free.

Python embedding is the closest you can come to this, but you lose the IDE, performance and flexibility of Mono.

I haven't used any other environment that comes close. If you have, I'd love to hear about it!

Comment

Originally posted by FreeBooteR69 View Post
                    Glad i use a distro that doesn't infect my system by default with this social disease. No need for a cure if you never contract the disease in the first place. =)
                    Your posting amongst infected people puts you into danger.

Comment

Looking back at how BlackStar says that Gtk+ and C suck, wait untill I tell him that the very DE he likes, is writin and build upon suckage Kaboom baby; deny that you are nothing but a total troll, BlackStar.

Oh yeah, have I got you by the balls

Comment

Working...
                      X